Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Practice broadheads for Elk >

Practice broadheads for Elk

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Practice broadheads for Elk

Old 03-29-2003, 07:34 PM

Default Practice broadheads for Elk

I am looking for a 2 bladed broadhead for Elk that also has inserts for target practice. This setup enables me to practice with the actual broadhead that I will use for the hunt. I currently use Muzzy 3-bladed 100' s for deer hunting but am unaware of any 2 bladed broadheads with target practice inserts. Anybody with suggestions?
Thanks, Paul
Old 03-30-2003, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Practice broadheads for Elk

I don' t know of any two bladed broadheads with practice blades, but there are some on the market with replaceable blades. You could use the original blades for targets and replace them when you are ready to hunt.

Do you doubt the muzzy 100 grains for elk?
Old 03-30-2003, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

Artic---

Good question! We' ve used Muzzy 100s and 125grn on elk with no problems.
Am trying 115grn 4 blade this year. Thanks to CG. He' s says they fly great and leaves one hell of a hole. That means good blood trail if needed. All Muzzys come with practice blades as well. elknut1.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:50 PM

Nope, dont question Muzzy 100' s at all-have killed many a whitetail with them. However, mountain biking has delt me a bum right shoulder and I can presently only draw 55 pounds on my Mathews featherlight. Seems like this necessitates a two bladed broadhead and optimum KE for a kill on a critter the size of an Elk. Whatcha think?
Later, Paul
Old 04-01-2003, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why not just try some of the two bladed heads that you can sharpen up easily? That way you will be practicing with what you are hunting with. That' s what I do anyway. Magnus, Stos, Grizzly, Zwickey, etc.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand biker, I tore both of my rotator cuffs years ago, and the max I can draw comfortable after a day of treking the mountains is low 60#. I shoot a mathews as well, and with a 62# bow and muzzy 125 grains, I dead centered a rib on the way in and on the way out of a 12-1300 pound bull moose this year. The broadhead was sticking out about 8" on the other side of the bull. There are very good arguments however on the use of a 2 blade fixed vs. other heads, and they will probably give you a better chance on a bad shot than a 3 blade. On a good placed shot however, the three blade is just as effective, and a 2 blade won' t kill them any deader.

As far as Bob' s idea... I personally hate sharpening knives, so I know I would not enjoy sharpening broadheads. I always feel like I don' t get my knives sharp enough, so I' d rather use a broadhead that I can just replace the blades on, rather than worry about sharpening.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

I just buy 6 extra broaheads of whatever broadheads I' m hunting with and use the same 6 for practice. They' re not that expensive are they? Mine aren' t anyway.