Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Expandable broadheads fly like practice tip??? >

Expandable broadheads fly like practice tip???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Expandable broadheads fly like practice tip???

Old 08-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Expandable broadheads fly like practice tip???

Ok, I am going to be using the shockwave 125gr. expandable broadheads. I am very accurate with a regular practice tip (125gr). I was just told by an archer that even thoughthey claim to fly like practice tips they can be off as much as 6 inches??? Is this true? Anyone use this broadhead and could confirm that? He suggested i take a broadhead and remove the rubberband then super glue the blades to the tip and use it as my practice tip to get sighted in correctly for that broadhead, good idea or bad? Also, i have never shot a deer with this broadhead any good or bad experiences if anyone has heard? Oh, i shoot a high country excaliber 31/68.
Thanks.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Expandable broadheads fly like practice tip???

First off, If your bow is tuned correctly(paper tuned, bare shaft tuned). Your heads should shoot the same as your field tips. Even if your shooting fixed blades. From my experience with heads that have to flip all the way back to reach there cutting capacity like the shockwave, lose penetration (expecially when hitting bone), and don't leave a good entryhole.They also scare me when shooting at angles becasue it looks to melikethe blades fliping back at an angle could re-direct your arrow. (My opinion)

Myopinion is that if you really want to shoot expandablesdon't use the kind that flip back tocut. Havehad a bad expeirence with them and heard many otherhorable stories. If someone tells you they are fine, theyjust havn't had something bad happen Yet.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

tschammel, ok thank you for your advice.
does anyone shot expandable broadheads and have they had the same experiences as far as bad penetration with ones that fold out to open upon impact?

if you'll don't prefer expandables, wich fixed blades (reasonably priced) don't have a problem going through bone or having difficulty penetrating the deer and shoot straight. Most fixed blades i shoot no matter how fine tuned my bow is still manage to be off every now and then by anywhere from an inch to two inches.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say almost ANY fixed blade chisel tip head will go through bone better than an expandable.

If your broadheads are consistantly grouping, but only an inch or two off, just move the sights. But I'd also check at longer distance to make sure that two inches doesnt become 6 or 8.

As far as shockwaves, they are a good head. I killed 3 deer with them 4 years ago. Had no problems with them opening, and got a complete passthrough on all shots.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

I have shot mech. broad heads for years now and have never had a problem at all. I would say that 9 out of the last10 were pass throughs. If you make a good shot you have nothing to worry about. It looks as if you are shoot adraw weight of 68# and that is plenty. You will find horror stories about every piece of equipment made. If you want to practice with them just buy another set of blades for hunting and use the older one for practice. Just make sure you mark them so you don't get them mixed up. But if you have even the smallest doubt about them then use a different type. You must have confidence in your equipment.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Like copper31 said it's personal preference and you have to have confidence in your equiptment.Not useing machanical is just a way of eliminating one thing that can go wrong for me.One thing I have foundfrom bow hunting 16 years is that you have to eliminate things that could go wrong because eventually things will.

Good fixed blades that fly well are: Stingers 4 blade, Slick Tricks, Muzzy, these all do well with bone two. (hopefuly your not hitting bone but just in case, ya know)
Old 08-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used rocket hammerheads for a few years. Never had a problem with them opening. As far as angled shots I have not had any kickouts mostly pass throughs. Most of my shots are less than 25 yds and I draw 75 lbs. The most important thing is an accurate shot. As long as you put the arrow through his lungs any broadhead will do the job. Choose the one you have the most CONFIDANCE in. Mine hit in the exact same point as feild points when properly tuned.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

When just jumping into a mechanical, you have to be careful. There are good ones on the market and simply put, there are junk ones as well. Too many people go to a mechanical head for a quick fix for a mistuned bow, unmatched arrows or lack of knowledge. Mechanical heads out of a well tuned bow, matched arrows can be very, very deadly and accurately but so can most of your fixed blade heads on the market. Fixed blade heads can fly exactly with your field/practice tips out of a tuned bow/arrow setup. Mechanicals are not more or less accurate than any other tip when a bow is used properly.

Mechanicals cannot be assumed to fly like field tips either. I've used Muzzy's that fly perfect with my field tips and dead on when I practiced out to 75 yards preparing for an elk trip...the Muzzy's drove tacks...I've also used Rocky Mountain Snypers to perfection as well. I've been absolutley amazed at how the Snypers open on the thinnest material and leave one heck of a hole in a whitetail.

While my Snypers flew exactly with my field/practice tips, they did not out of a friends bow. He was so impressed with the holes I left in deer that he was going to try them. He used Muzzy's as well as I did and we had his Muzzy's hitting exactly with his field tips, when shooting the mechanical (Snypers), they flew off more than 3 inches.

Don't assume and no matter what broadhead you choose to use, tune your bow and arrows to match and shoot perfectly, then and only then tune your broadheads to get the utmost performance...a tuned bow/arrow will penetrate farther and hit more accurately.

And don't forget, once you shoot a broadhead for practice, the blades are no longer suitable for hunting, sharpen or change them, remember the one shot rule.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

"They also scare me when shooting at angles becasue it looks to melikethe blades fliping back at an angle could re-direct your arrow. (My opinion)"

i have seen it happen stay away from mechanicals imho buddy o mine lost the biggest deer with a bow yet to this
Old 08-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

100g Thunderheads ... Fixed is the way to go. When you are at full draw you have now doubt if the broadhead will open. They fly great and have a heck of an impact.

Quick Reply: Expandable broadheads fly like practice tip???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.