Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

replacing bow string

Old 04-04-2005, 12:51 PM

Default replacing bow string

I have a Browning Boss Mantis II. I bought it used from my hunting buddy last season. After the season, I noticed that I am needing to replace the string. Buddy also told me as well. What can I expect to pay to have my string replaced? Will the shop put everything back on my string or will I have to do that? Talking about the peep, string loop for release and the 2 metal clips my nock goes between. First time I have had to have a string replaced. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: replacing bow string

Ball park figure is $15 to $35 depending in whether you want a cheapo string or a good one. I've seen strings for as little as $11 for the run of the mill junk and $50 for good ones from aftermarket makers such as Winner's Choice. It also depends on whether it's single or dual cam. I'm not familiar with your bow.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:13 PM

if you don't have a press you'll have to take it to a shop. watch what they do and how they do it and soon you'll be able to do it yourself. i don't think you need any brass nocks if you have a loop. just get a little tied in nocking pt out of thread below your arrows nock and above the bottom loop of the nock (same place). if you want a whole set of good strings and cables you're looking at anywhere from $45-100.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you replacing cables as well?

Depends on the string quality, who makes it, off the shelf etc. There are tons of string makers around, I recommned GAS Strings (www.gasbowstrings.com). They are made by Eric Griggs, give him a call or check his web site.

You will need a press to put the string on. The shop "should" do a simple re-tune to synch the cams, put the nock point and peep in. But ASK THEM FIRST make sure its included.

The shop may also make the strings in house, quality here can vary from shop to shop even tech to tech in the same shop, or they may have a 3rd party place they use.

--Bob
Old 04-05-2005, 06:03 AM

I'm not sure if the cables need changed. You can see on the cams, that they have spun back enough for the string to start touching them. Makes a really loud slap when you shoot. I have never had to do anything like this or have anyone do something like this for me. I am still pretty green on the bow hunting and bow upkeep.

thanks for all the help and replies!
Old 04-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cables will GENERALLY last longer than a string, however if the cable strands are hitting teh cam, that isn't a good thing. The serving should protect the string anywhere it touches the cams.

If you are unsure and you are already getting the string replaced, go for the cables as well, might as well be safe. If doing this, its a good idea to get quality string and cables to minimize string creep and settling. I highly recommend giving Eric a call at GAS strings. He makes top notch stuff. He will mail the strings to you and you will need someone to put them on, he "might" let you ship him the bow, you'd have to ask him.

--Bob