Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 String Replacing >

String Replacing

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String Replacing

Old 02-28-2009, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default String Replacing

Is their a time scale on how long you should keep a string on a bow , I've had my X-Force 12 months now and am just wondering how long or when should you replace strings .
I use my bow every week for a 40 - 50arrows session , although its showing a little wear , i wanted to know if there is a certain time to change ?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: String Replacing

i would say if there is wear showing change it...my string lasted 1 week on my new Mission thats because i wanted a string from WorldsBestStrings to replace the stock ones and they look and perform great!!!
Old 02-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on what you mean by wear. If you mean that it has some fuzzies showing maybe all you need is to wax the string, or wax it more often. 50 shots a week is not a lot of shooting by any means. When I'm practicng for hunting, target, and 3D I might put 300 shots a week through a bow and I still find it necessary to replace my strings every two to three years.

I don't know why, but maybe because I care for my equipment I rarely if ever wax my strings. Maybe once a year, but only to prepare them for hunting where I find it necessary to prepare them for inclement weather. My 3D bow I never wax the strings. There is usually enough already in it (notice I did not say ON it) that all I have to do is rub it fairly vigorously and create a little heat to move the wax around within the strands.

Now, all that being said, I am a firm believer in replacing the factory strings as soon as I get a bow. A good set of strings are not totally necessary as they don't last longer. What they will do is NOT CREEP over time so the bow, once tuned, will stay in tune till it's time to replace them. Might sound a little anal, but there is little that ticks me off more than having to keep twisting the strings to keep everything in spec just because of having inferior strings from the factory.

I don't think there is a time period for replacement dependent on the amount of shots put through a bow. I've had strings last for over 20,000 shots and still appeared to be in good shape. One of the prime culprits that is bad for strings is grit and dirt. This is where I think many guys get too carried away with waxing. Dirt and grit will adhere to wax and cause premature fraying and wear. If you can pinch your string between thumb and index finger and rub along it and feel excess wax then there is too much on it.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

It depends on what you mean by wear. If you mean that it has some fuzzies showing maybe all you need is to wax the string, or wax it more often. 50 shots a week is not a lot of shooting by any means. When I'm practicng for hunting, target, and 3D I might put 300 shots a week through a bow and I still find it necessary to replace my strings every two to three years.

I don't know why, but maybe because I care for my equipment I rarely if ever wax my strings. Maybe once a year, but only to prepare them for hunting where I find it necessary to prepare them for inclement weather. My 3D bow I never wax the strings. There is usually enough already in it (notice I did not say ON it) that all I have to do is rub it fairly vigorously and create a little heat to move the wax around within the strands.

Now, all that being said, I am a firm believer in replacing the factory strings as soon as I get a bow. A good set of strings are not totally necessary as they don't last longer. What they will do is NOT CREEP over time so the bow, once tuned, will stay in tune till it's time to replace them. Might sound a little anal, but there is little that ticks me off more than having to keep twisting the strings to keep everything in spec just because of having inferior strings from the factory.

I don't think there is a time period for replacement dependent on the amount of shots put through a bow. I've had strings last for over 20,000 shots and still appeared to be in good shape. One of the prime culprits that is bad for strings is grit and dirt. This is where I think many guys get too carried away with waxing. Dirt and grit will adhere to wax and cause premature fraying and wear. If you can pinch your string between thumb and index finger and rub along it and feel excess wax then there is too much on it.
I think that pretty much covers that , thanks for the advice BGfisher . I will look into replacing the factory string , as i do plan on keeping this bow for years to come .
My peep has done full circle and have resorted to using a peep with tube to keep it inline . Can you recommend a certain string company to use or maybe a website ? .

Thanks
Old 02-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

A guy on this site that has a national following. His name is John Mraz and his user name is Gibblet. He's Bucknasty on www.archerytalk.com and his business is known as Bucknasty strings. I've had very good luck with them. Comparable to Winner's Choice in quality of workmanship using the same string materials. Cost is about 2/3 that of WC's. You get to be creative and pick your own colors, too.

On AT there are sponsors that make strings also. Many of them. There's Prostrings, Vaportrail, H&M, and so many others. I feel fairly certain that once you pick one and try their strings you'll stay with them. If the product is what you pay for there is no real reason to keep getting others. Afterall, you don't buy a set every week just to compare them.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks BG , i'll look into it .