Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Practice Session for OH-PA Smackdown >

Practice Session for OH-PA Smackdown

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Practice Session for OH-PA Smackdown

Old 03-12-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Practice Session for OH-PA Smackdown

You PA boys better watch out. Phil is in his Zen Archery training and Buckeye and myself met up today for a practice round. It was nice to meet Buckeye in person, he is a nice and polite guy just as I expected. I enjoyed spending time with someone else with a passion for bowhunting and 3D shooting.

The weather was not the greatest but we shot Ok considering. It was about 30 degrees, snowing off and on, and blowing like crazy. The wind did die down some about half way through but it made sighting in on the practice bales very challenging when it would blow your sight completely off the bale. I stepped out of my truck with jeans and a sweatshirt while Scott looked like he was ready for an all day December stand session with coveralls, jacket, and even a neck warmer, LOL. Ok, I had several layers under my sweatshirt and Buckeye did shoot the whole round with no gloves so I guess he is not all wuss...

Of course we had to have our own little contest to establish dominance just like the bucks do in the fall. I jumped ahead a few points early on and then Scott was ahead a few and going down the back stretch I had him for sure. That is until I shot an 8 on the next to last target and then Scott shot an 11 on the very last one to tie it up! Both of us thought I had it, too bad he didn't realize he needed that 11 on the texas heart shot turkey or he may have blew it. Since it ended in a tie I guess we will have to spar again to determine bragging rights.

Scott even threw in a novelty shot when he asked me if I thought he could hit "that buffalo over there". I looked to see a buffalo almost a football field away and I told him he could probably hit it but not in the kill zone. He shot and actually caught the back of the lungs. Seeing this I had to try it and I hit the front of the lungs (big 8 ring on the buffalo). We tied again although Scott measured and I was several inches closer to the 10 ring than he was. I won't tell you where Scott's arrow hit on his 2nd attempt.

Scott, it was nice to meet you in person. Don't forget to change that loop before your shoot tomorrow, I would not trust it. Cya around.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Practice Session for OH-PA Smackdown

I had a blast shooting with Troy today. Pumpkins better watch out Troy can shoot! As he said we had a tie we both hit a 304/330. My X count was higher though....... but that only means I hit more 8's

I shot 5 up on the front and 1 down on the back with a 14X count.

I won't tell you where Scott's arrow hit on his 2nd attempt .
D'OH!!!

And if you pumpkins were wondering I actually go by my middle name Scott every where but on the net
Old 03-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

I had a blast shooting with Troy today. Pumpkins better watch out Troy can shoot! As he said we had a tie we both hit a 304/330. My X count was higher though....... but that only means I hit more 8's

I shot 5 up on the front and 1 down on the back with a 14X count.

I won't tell you where Scott's arrow hit on his 2nd attempt .
D'OH!!!

And if you pumpkins were wondering I actually go by my middle name Scott every where but on the net

And here I called you Jason when I met you, sorry...

BTW, I'm glad y'all got that cold weather stuff up there, it was a balmy 72 degrees and the sun was shining so bright I even worked up a sweat down here in Greenville, S.C. [8D]
Old 03-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

keep practicing, you'll need it fellas.

On a side note, thats awesome you guys got together to wing a few. Meeting you guys from Ohio will be a blast, I'm sure. Its hard to find people in my area that have the same passion I do for the sport. Other the PAHardwoods and ram96, most are just casual bowhunters and don't like to shoot year round.

Look forward to seein ya soon fellas.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:34 AM

Must be nice to have some 3D ranges open all year in your area. All of the ranges in our area start much later. Actually we have a little series that starts next week and runs all spring and summer, and they rotate having the shoots at 4 different locations. But who knows if they will start next week like they are supposed to because we still have freakin snow on the ground here!!!!!!!! And they didn't start last year until the snow was gone[:@] But I'm still getting some shooting indoors. Last night Ram96 and I went to a local shop and I ran my Old Glory through the crono with some 85 grain points this time and the results looked like this:

29" Draw at 70lbs

27" 350 grn Goldtip (feathers and wrap 85 grn point)=300fps
27" 356 grn Goldtip (Blazers and wrap 85 grn point)=298fps

Glad to see you luckeyes are getting some practice your gonna need it!!!!! I don't want to hear an complaining when PA lays the smack down on you guys. It will be great to finally meet you jokers, you guys sond like a fun bunch. I'll even bring some of Pennsylvania's finest brew for you drinkers. For the post shoot PA victory celebration. Matt knows what I'm talking about. Good Old Vitamin "Y"

By the way hey Buck magnet are you in or are you out for the Shoot?
Old 03-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still in training. But I'll be ready to shoot lights out come Friday. Pumpkins be afraid. Be very afraid.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

But I'll be ready to shoot lights out come Friday.
I am really looking forward to friday!
Old 03-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just got home a few hours ago from the Indoor worlds.

I shot a 5 on the very first target! A 5!!! It was a closer (don't want to say any yardages because the shoot lasts all weekend) shot I just BLEW it big time. I hit the boar in the leg[][][]

Anyhow, I ended up with a 400 18X. I shot a 5 on a longer gobbling turkey as well as the boar mentioned earlier. I also hit four 8's to drain the rest of my X count to nil

Not to bad of a showing but not spectacular either
Old 03-18-2005, 07:43 PM

Nice shooting Buckeye! We're heading up that way tomorrow. Shooting on Sunday. Can't wait to stick some foam.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:52 PM

Well guys, I am not going to be able to make it! I was supposed to go to Canada with my grandfather that weekend, but I found out yesterday that my cousin is getting married that weekend and wants me in his wedding (both his parents passed away when he was a teenager and my family is pretty much all he has). It looks like I will be in Vermont for the wedding, but I am gonna continue trash talking since there is no way that I can screw up and shoot bad

The worst part of all is that I tweeked with my bow today and got the Liberty absolutely dialed in! At 50 yards I was hitting a 2" circle with every shot and I stepped back to 65 and was still keeping decent groups (my furthest pin is for 50 so I was just holding a bit high)!