Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Practice session sequencing >

Practice session sequencing

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Practice session sequencing

Old 04-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Practice session sequencing

I've been thinking lately (always frightening) about the way in which I experiment at the range. If I am going to shoot a single bullet and try varying charges, as I plan to do this coming weekend with the 54 cal, my procedure tends to be:

Shoot 3 shots with 70 grains, then 3 with 80, then 3 with 90 etc.

It occurs to me, it may be more revealing to shoot 1 with 70, then 1 with 80, then 1 with 90, three times in a row. By doing it this way, the variables are more evenly shared and no subsequent group is inadvertently punished or rewarded.

An example would be:

You arrive at the public range and are the only shooter. You get 3 shots in with 70 grains and 1 with 80, before a guy gets set up nearby and goes to work. Your results show the 70 grain charge produced the tightest groups. Might it have been the new distraction?

Or it's a hot summer day, and the 90 grain charge performs the best. Might it have been the hotter barrel of the final group or softer sabots warmed on the bench by sunshine?

It seems as though those variables which do exist would be more evenly shared by shooting 1 with 70, then 1 with 80, then 1 with 90 three times, or five as I prefer, to achieve the most valid, if not the most accurate, result.

Thoughts?
Old 04-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Practice session sequencing

yeoman

As the guy on TV said "it is always nice to have plan" and "you gotta love it when a plan comes together."

Old 04-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you carry a "CLOSED" sign with you and put it up at the gate when you go to the range, you won't have to worry about a guy setting up nearyou.

You've got a point, but I would suspect that if you settle yourself down for each shot and concentrat on technique for each shot it won't matter that much.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

Semisane - that's a leap of faith I'm not sure I can make. Suppose it's windy when I arrive and diminishes over the hour or two that I'm there. Or the punishment of the rifle has taken its toll after 15 rounds. Those kinds of changes can go unnoticed. Even a change from sunshine to cloud cover can affect results. For open sight shooters, I believe subconscious "adjustment toward the bullseye" also occurs when your brain knows you are sending the same missile sequentially.

This needs more study......[8D]
Old 04-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

It sure would be an interesting experiment, but mighty hard to set up parameters. As you mentioned, wind and light conditions really conplicate the issue. Now, if you shot the exact same loads and same number of shots over the course ofa half dozen range sessions and used Sequence One for sessions 1, 3 & 5 and Alternating Sequence Two for sessions 2, 4 & 6 it might tell you something. (Are you looking for a homework assignment??)
Old 04-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

yeoman

Gee Whiz!!! make it easy - do not be so analytical... you'll never get a shot off - Have fun... but let us know what you do...
Old 04-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader - I find the analytics both fun and easy, though I "catch your drift", as we use to say.[&o]
Old 04-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

yeoman

I find the analytics both fun and easy
You have ruined my image of you... and here I thought you were mountain man that just loved shooting - but see that makes you a SMART mountain man...
Old 04-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used a similar approach when working up loads for my CF rifles.

If you have a way to pre measure your powder, tubes or film canisters, measure out your loads before going to the range. That way you can measure the 3 or 5 shots of powder before changing the measure and thus have the most consistency for each powder level. Then put up as many aiming dots as you have powder levels and shoot each powder load at a different dot, i.e. one dot for 70gr, one for 80gr, one for 90gr, etc. Shoot one of each and then go back and start again. This does help in weeding out some differences over time that can occur as the day goes on. Keep everything else as consistent as possible for best results. I would also suggest doing at least 2 or 3 range sessions like this to average out the results and check for consistency of results. This helps justify and gives a good reason for more range sessions, right?

Good luck and keep us posted on your results.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tried that, unless you go down range and mark each shot you will end up wondering if you got mixed up or not when one goes into the wrong group. Lee

Quick Reply: Practice session sequencing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.