Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Small Fletchings? >

Small Fletchings?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Small Fletchings?

Old 03-10-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Small Fletchings?

I'm seeing lots of 2 inch and shorter vanes, taller and stiffer though, on arrows now. Most new arrows still come with the standard 4 inch vanes. Many guys are shooting fixed as well as mechanical broadheards in front of these "small" fletchings and they seem to work great. I've always shot 3 inch vanes because I didn't think I could get away with anything smaller and still have stable arrow flight for my Spitfire 100's.

I thought they were just for 3-D and that's the only place I saw them out west years ago. Can anyone give me the low down on the small fletching deal?

Thanks,

Butch
Old 03-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Small Fletchings?

I've only seen the dainty ones on terget setups, myself.
I want all the forgiveness I can get in a hunting situation, and I'll never use less than 4" for that.
For target competition when money is on the line, I'd be using whatever gave me the best groups and flattest trajectory, no doubt.

Definitely wouldn't try the little ones with fixed blades for hunting while releasing with fingers.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Small Fletchings?

Without getting long winded it comes down to surface area. Higher and shorter can have almost the same area as longer and lower, which can stabilize an arrow very effectively. Of course, you better have a drop-away rest on the bow.