Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 I.B.O. speed or Actual speed >

I.B.O. speed or Actual speed

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I.B.O. speed or Actual speed

Old 03-07-2005, 02:13 PM

Default I.B.O. speed or Actual speed

This is my first post! Been hiding in this tree for awhile (not too long,..cold out here!..lol) I haven't seen this info. here nor could I find out else where. Sorry if its a repeat. Now!,..that said. I keep seeing bows advertized with 308fps I.B.O. or 315fps I.B.O.. How does this compair to what your bows REALLY shooting? How do you calculate to get these numbers? Is this why you should try out a couple of different arrow set ups. i.e., broadhead weight, type., arrow weight, fletching? I wasn't checking for speed when I was shooting all those different arrows and set ups just looking for the most accutate, did I miss something? I'm not a fan of speed and I don't shoot 3-D, but I am curious about these numbers for no other reason than, just because???! I hunt deer and turkey and I don't think they really care either! Any and all input, ideas and yeah, jokes too, are welcome on this. Thanks!!
Old 03-07-2005, 08:16 PM

Default RE: I.B.O. speed or Actual speed

DMorg, the only way to compare an IBO rating to what your bows really shooting is to tell us what bow, poundage, draw length, arrow weight or type, etc.... The actual speed could be anywhere from near or over the IBO rating (for 3D shooters with over 30" draw lengths) to 100 fps less with a shorter draw length and heavy arrows. It appears to me that for hunting with a newer bow around 60 lbs, with average 28" or 29" DL, and mid weight arrows in the 400 grain range, people are shooting around around 250 - 280 fps. An older bow or heavier arrows maybe in the 220 - 230 range.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:31 PM

Hey there DMorg.

Are you asking how they actually come up with IBO speeds for bows. Well, here's a little article from Hunter's Friend. Read the article and it will answer any of your questions.

The actual article about IBO is a little ways down the page, but the whole article might help you even more.

Hunter's Friend
Old 03-09-2005, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the replys. The Huntersfriend site was exspecially helpful Double edge!! As for my bow, its nothing fancy Blodg, Its a PSE NOVA set at 66lbs, a 29 1/2 inch draw length, 62% let off. I'm shooting Carbon Force 400 arrows with a 125 grain fixed broadhead. (Steel Force) It seems to scoot along pretty good but I'm fairly certain its not shooting the posted 295 f.p.s. IBO speed, But, I've never shot through a chronograph. So..?? I was always interested in how the manufactuers came up with these numbers and I appreciate the help. I have thought about shooting 100grain heads but other than that I really like my set up and it seems to work well, as long as I do all I need to. Thanks again for the help!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

As an example, my Reflex Grizzly set at 27" Draw length with a 340 gr arrow and 64 lbs draw weight shoots 257 fps. The IBO rating for that bow is 305 FPS. So deduct the 3" DL, the 6lbs Draw weight, the tube peep, the string leeches etc.... and I am pretty darn close to what it is advertised with all the deductions factored in.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:11 PM

IBO is extremely misleading to those bowhunters who don't know all the ends and outs of the archery world. MOST IBO speeds are given using 70lbs, 30 inch draw lengths and 350 grain arrows. Personally, I think AMO is a better guide to go by for bowhunters.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:27 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by DMorg
This is my first post! Been hiding in this tree for awhile (not too long,..cold out here!..lol) I haven't seen this info. here nor could I find out else where. Sorry if its a repeat. Now!,..that said. I keep seeing bows advertized with 308fps I.B.O. or 315fps I.B.O.. How does this compair to what your bows REALLY shooting? How do you calculate to get these numbers? Is this why you should try out a couple of different arrow set ups. i.e., broadhead weight, type., arrow weight, fletching and What Is IBO in Archery? I wasn't checking for speed when I was shooting all those different arrows and set ups just looking for the most accutate, did I miss something? I'm not a fan of speed and I don't shoot 3-D, but I am curious about these numbers for no other reason than, just because???! I hunt deer and turkey and I don't think they really care either! Any and all input, ideas and yeah, jokes too, are welcome on this. Thanks!!
I read that the traditional recurve class the riser can be no longer then 19” and have no counter balance weight if any kind. Does this rule out the WF risers from CD archery? I asked this over on the 3D page but folks must not look at that much. Not a big deal, I’m just curious to know.