Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

speed???

Old 08-25-2008, 04:28 PM

Default speed???

I am in looking at buying a new bow. Right now I have a PSE nova I've had for 2 seasons and well I know it is just a starter bow. I am really leaning towards bowtech, but still haven't ruled out mathews. But I am wondering how big of a difference does speed make when choosing a bow? If 10 or 15 fps really means a lot? because I really like the bowtech general but it is not as fast as some others.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: speed???

I would take the general over mathews for shootability and smoothness, and they are fairly close in speed. There are deffinetly faster bows out there. I am shooting a 82nd airborne as my primary bow and I have a Ross Cardiac as my back up and to use out of ground blinds. Both bows are drasticaly different, one is set up shooting approximately 330fps and the other is around 290fps. Speed does you absolutely no good if you cant hit what your aiming at. If you can shoot a fast bow just as well as a slower one, you might as well choose the fast one becausethere is really no draw backs to speed.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

The name on the bow means much less than how that bow feels in your hands when you're shooting it. How does the draw cycle feel??? Does it have a solid wall??? Was the handshock acceptable to you??? What's your budget??? Speed might be one of the last and first factors we all consider, but if it's a 400fps bow and the grip just don't feel right in your hand, all that speed ain't gonna do you any good, because your not gonna be comfortable shooting that bow. YOU have to determine what is MOST important to you. Are you willing ot accept a small amount of handshock vs. NONE to save $200, or are you willing to accept a more aggressive draw vs. a very smooth draw to gain 20fps???

I personally shoot about every bow I can get my hands on, even if I'm not "bow-shopping," because it gives me ideas of how different set-ups feel.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:54 PM

OHbowhntr said it best. Shoot what feels best in your hands and DON"T BUY IT IF YOU CAN"T SHOOT IT!

I used to shoot for a bow company because at the time they had the best bows out. But I shot for them for too long. They got passed up. However, I tell you no bow before since or after fit my hand and my likes like the Hoyt HavocTec and RazorTec did. I loved the smooth shooting of the Mathews but I hated the grips. Nothing a belt sander didn't fix. Then I liked the Ross's shooting characteristics but the grip SUCKED to me. Not even worth whittling on. Now, if I had to pick, it would be a Bowtech Grip. But Mathews Smooth. However, I like the General. Last bow I was able to shoot before my shoulder blew apart (after having it reconstructed...my doc warned me to stop shooting bows) Anyway, Try them all like Ohbwhtr says and see what fits you the best. Speed is overrated. Like passthru says...don't matter how fast you miss! You gotta be comfy in what you are shooting to be accurate. You will be AMAZED at how much different bows will shoot compared to your Nova.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

BTW....If you had to choose between the General and the DXT, I think which ever one fits you best would be a fine choice. Can't go wrong with either one IMO.