Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

actual speed

Old 12-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default actual speed

Now this stupid TechnoHunt thing has got me all freaked out. Today i was looking at my score printout and it has your arrow speed on there. My bow was only shooting like 188-190 fps. I know that new bows have IBO speeds of like 315 or so. But, I know that the IBO is like 70 pounds, 30 inch draw, nothing on the arrow, etc. so it is actually higher than your final set up. So is my bow amazingly slow or is that still an OK speed for hunting?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: actual speed

Are you shooting a recurve?

Old 12-14-2006, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tell us more about your setup. Bow brand and model, weight, draw length. What arrows are you shooting withe type of fletchingand point weight. What all do you have on the string?

By today's standards that is pretty slow, but it's still fast enough to be shooting at deer. That kind of speed used to be pretty standard about 30 years ago. I know. That's what I got with bows back then and I still shot through animals.

Now, that being said, I wouldn't trust the chrono used on a Techno-hunt. The chrono's used ina Techno-hunt read a velocity about ten yards from the bow and this will be slower than at the bow, but not by a whole lot. It might be right, but the only way to find out is to shoot it over a real chrono. The shop probably has one somewhere on the premises.

There are a lot of things that can slow a bow and it sounds like you are using all of them.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot Techno as well, and the chrono on the oneI shoot is off by a solid 30-40 fps. My bow chronos at 269 and on the techno it usually reads around 229. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you chrono it and it still comes up as a snail.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:04 PM

ya crono's on techno games are ussually way off. Especially if the owner doesnt have there system calibrated once a year.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Browning Yukon with a 28 inch draw and like 55 pounds draw weight. I have a string loop and a peep sight with no rubber tube, and I am shooting Gold Tips.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Tikka 30-06

I have a Browning Yukon with a 28 inch draw and like 55 pounds draw weight. I have a string loop and a peep sight with no rubber tube, and I am shooting Gold Tips.
Strange bow the Yukon in that it's a newer style (I think they are a 2005 model) but they were never advertised by Browning. Did you buy it at a Gander Mountain by any chance? It's the only place I have seen them.

Anyway, it should be shooting much faster than that. If we knew your arrow weight it would help.

Edit: Unless it's an older Browning....sometimes Browning reuses their bow names. In that case it may be the actual speed.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

yep i got it from Gander Mountian in a package deal. My arrows are Gold Tip XT Hunters (3555) and they weigh 7.4 gr/inch (28 inches long). I shoot 100 grain heads, but I have no clue how much the fletchings and all that weighs.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Site Bouncer

Ok, I know what bow you are talking about, it's a newer bow so I'm sure theIBO isin the 290-295fps range.Your arrows arearound 350grains -/+that shouldput youin the 225-230fps rangeI would guess.

I figured you lose about 10fps per inch of draw lengthso that's 20fps there, then I figured around 3fps loss per pound below 70 so that's another 45fps.That's a total of about a 65fps loss off of the IBO rated speed.

I may be wrong with my figures, I'm not too much of the speed junkie so I really don't keep up with it, but I think they are close. Sounds like you may have to chrono it.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:33 AM

thats because your bow the Yukon and a few other Manufactureres do the same thing. They make a line up thats specifically for sporting goods stores. Martin and Pse are also in that mix. You'll see medium to low end lines there. Not any of there pro-series.

Quick Reply: actual speed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.