Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Dryfire!

Old 01-22-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Dryfire!

I was out shooting the other day and ran into a scarry situation. Just as I was pressing down on my release, the arrow fell off the string as I fired. I heard a sound like a 22 going off. The arrow fell about two feet in front of me. The string snapped on the lower cam peg and the cablr harness stayed in tact, but the harness was frayed on both sides.

I took the thing apart and checked the axles and they are straight and the idler and cam seem fine with no damage. I checked the limbs out really close and there are no cracks or splintering. The axle holes have no cracks I can see and they still hold the axle with minimal play.

I have never dry fired a bow before and have never seen it at the range either. I am a little worried about what unseen damage I should be concerned about. I had my proshop look at it and they said they cannot see any damage and said it should be fine. They told me the bows these days are tested by dryfire at the factories for weakness and one accidental dryfire, most likely, will not hurt it.

My question is for someone with alot of experience working on dry fired bows. I have an extra string and cable and have put it back on, but I still am a little concerned. Should I give the bow a go or not? I would be greatfull for any advise!

It is a two year old Mathew's Legacy that I just love. And I really cannot afford a new bow right now and can't see a new one in the near future. Please give me some good news here, but be honest if the news is not so good! Thanks
Old 01-22-2005, 10:36 AM

Default RE: Dryfire!

Your bow should be allright, dryfires normally cause more nerve damage to the shooter than the bow BUT DON"T DO IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2005, 11:30 AM

I would send it in to them and have the limbs x-rayed . I had a brand new hoyt I drew it back with out and arrow and the string loop broke nocked all the strings off the cams. Took it to the proshop and it had cam lean, every thing looked good axles were strait limbs looked good cams looked good chouldn't figure it out so I sent it back to hoyt they x-rayed the limbs and all four were crked on the inside I would have never of known. and the cams were slitlly bent so my 2cents is send it off better save then sorry.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:23 AM

I shot my q2 -same as you . The limbs were cracked where the axle went through limbs.
they fixed it for free. Ill rember that, pease of mind --send it back if you don"t trust bow shop. Hope this help

LeftyPa
Old 01-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with Lefty Pa...I'd send it back too.