Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Outback/Switchback revisited >

Outback/Switchback revisited

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Outback/Switchback revisited

Old 12-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Outback/Switchback revisited

Tonight I went to a local dealer near my work to reexamine my decision and to do another comparison of the Switchback and Outback. I offered to pay him to try the bows but he didn't care. The results were mostly as discussed with a few distictions. Both bows had the 29" cam in the proper rotation and turned down to 62lbs. The Outback I shot there was actually a hair quieter, maybe because they were turned down. The draw cycle of the Switchback was a hair stouter but appreciably smoother, I spent some time on that and I think it feels a hair stouter because of the longer power stroke. No doubt the valley was better on the Switchback and letting down was much smoother with the Switchback, there is no hump. The back wall is much better on the Outback. The Switchback held better except that "for me" the back wall of the Outback made up for that. When I held right and released clean, the Switchback was more accurate and for 3D I might prefer the Switchback. The Outback however was more forgiving and for hunting I definitely prefer the Outback. I could shoot fast and loose with the Outback and still maintain 2" groups at 20 with a bow that isn't even setup for me. The Switchback while more accurate was more critical. The Outback is definitely more manueverable. The Switchback ran long, it felt a good half inch longer than the Outback. I would need a half inch shorter Switchback and there would go any performance advantage. The Outback IMO only, is the better pure hunting bow. And it was a joy to shoot, it felt good in my hands.

I think that for those who want an all around 3D/Hunting bow or who prefer a slightly longer ATA, probably the Switchback is the better bow.

Just a few distictions that I wanted to share.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Outback/Switchback revisited

Thanks for the write up.

As far as "I could shoot fast and loose with the Outback and still maintain 2" groups at 20 with a bow that isn't even setup for me. The Switchback while more accurate was more critical."
I've found that my Patriot is also more critical to shoot than other bows I've had in the past and currently own. A sloppy shot will show up downrange, one of my other bows with ~8" brace isn't near as picky. Not that the Patriot is touchy or anything, just requires attention to detail (in it's current state of tune).

I wonder if this has something to do with the 33" ata, Parallel limbs & 7" brace both bows have? (patriot & switchback)
Old 12-29-2004, 11:57 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DaveC

Thanks for the write up.

As far as "I could shoot fast and loose with the Outback and still maintain 2" groups at 20 with a bow that isn't even setup for me. The Switchback while more accurate was more critical."
I've found that my Patriot is also more critical to shoot than other bows I've had in the past and currently own. A sloppy shot will show up downrange, one of my other bows with ~8" brace isn't near as picky. Not that the Patriot is touchy or anything, just requires attention to detail (in it's current state of tune).

I wonder if this has something to do with the 33" ata, Parallel limbs & 7" brace both bows have? (patriot & switchback)
I think that it's the braceheight, but to be fair to the Switchback I would have needed 2 bows that measured the same drawlength. If I had shot a Switchback with a half inch shorter draw than the Outback and compared, I can't be sure that my findings would have been the same regarding the forgiveness. That's why I noted that finding, about the draw length being longer on the Switchback.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bet I know a even SMOOTHER drawing bow, without even the slightest of hump when letting off...........CP Oneida.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a switchback today when I took my patriot in for it's limb replacement.
Shooting it reminded me ALOT of my patriot. It stacked a little sooner than my Patriot and felt as good flinging the arrow down range.
They had it set up 29" draw 62# and everyone I saw shoot it was hitting ~2" at 20 yards with some 2413's. I flung a carbon and the speed definatley came up from the aluminum. One guy ordered one on the spot.

The vibration felt after the shot was undiscernable as the shop I frequent insist on installing the rubber tubing peep sights. I know I could feel that rubber band vibrating after the shot. A true comparison between the two bows could only be established without the rubber band handi-cap.

All in all I'd say they have a winner and will sell a lot of them.