HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Outback/Switchback revisited
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Buckfevr
Fork Horn

Default Outback/Switchback revisited

Tonight I went to a local dealer near my work to reexamine my decision and to do another comparison of the Switchback and Outback. I offered to pay him to try the bows but he didn't care. The results were mostly as discussed with a few distictions. Both bows had the 29" cam in the proper rotation and turned down to 62lbs. The Outback I shot there was actually a hair quieter, maybe because they were turned down. The draw cycle of the Switchback was a hair stouter but appreciably smoother, I spent some time on that and I think it feels a hair stouter because of the longer power stroke. No doubt the valley was better on the Switchback and letting down was much smoother with the Switchback, there is no hump. The back wall is much better on the Outback. The Switchback held better except that "for me" the back wall of the Outback made up for that. When I held right and released clean, the Switchback was more accurate and for 3D I might prefer the Switchback. The Outback however was more forgiving and for hunting I definitely prefer the Outback. I could shoot fast and loose with the Outback and still maintain 2" groups at 20 with a bow that isn't even setup for me. The Switchback while more accurate was more critical. The Outback is definitely more manueverable. The Switchback ran long, it felt a good half inch longer than the Outback. I would need a half inch shorter Switchback and there would go any performance advantage. The Outback IMO only, is the better pure hunting bow. And it was a joy to shoot, it felt good in my hands.

I think that for those who want an all around 3D/Hunting bow or who prefer a slightly longer ATA, probably the Switchback is the better bow.

Just a few distictions that I wanted to share.