Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 New shop in town?? >

New shop in town??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New shop in town??

Old 11-16-2004, 05:53 PM

Default New shop in town??

Hey guy's and gal's, I'm looking for a little help or input.

About a year ago I moved to Lincoln NE, I had aspirations to open a bow shop, once I got here and found I had nothing in the local area for public shooting or proshops. I sent out a post and got some great responses with some great input and ideas. Since then I have been trying to think of everyway possible to get this thing started.

What I have found is that making the full leap, plunge, dive or whatever you want to call it, is going to be one of the hardest steps. I have a full time job that seems to get the bills paid, and a family that depends on it.

What I would like to do is maybe start something out of my basement with a small shop, a small inventory and little overhead. Then it would allow me to make some tough decisions based upon the outcome of a year or so and then make the plunge into a full time archery shop.

The problem that I'm runnig into is that everywhere I look, I can only find wholesalers that will sell to a shop with a store front and a full shop. I can't make any money to get things started if I'm buying my supplies from the same place that my customers can.

Just wondering if I could make any contacts out there, or if anyone has any ideas.

Any input would be great help. You can also email me direct [email protected]
Old 11-16-2004, 08:11 PM

Default RE: New shop in town??

The reason wholesalers want to deal with 'established' shops is to get paid. The number of small, and especially "something out of the (my) basement", shops that go under each and every year is phenomenal.

Many think that it is a glorious business and that they can make a lot of money. The hours are long, respect and allegiance is lacking, and profits are little to none. When you run a small shop like you're intending, the majority of customers will expect you to work for nothing. You will get stuck with inventory that those 'customers' will order and then refuse to accept.

It's a hard business. If you run it with other than strong business tactics, you won't succeed. And remember, success is measured in dollars and not in popularity. If you think otherwise, your family may have to accept a much smaller 'standard of living'.

I could go on and on; but, I'll leave it open to comments from others who may know better.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Spike

Im no businessman or anything but have a suggestion.....

Perhaps a online business would be easier for you to start out with?
Old 11-17-2004, 03:48 PM

Hey, thanks for the input and the idea of having an internet business would be a great way to start some income, but you still have to have something to sell.

I have thought about starting with some arrows, sending out a mailing to the local club members and see what kind of customer base that builds. Also I have been looking into the State of Nebraska Game and Parks, verifying the amount of archery licenses sold in the local area and maybe generating a mailing list from that as well, some more research needs to be done on that. From this expand into bigger and better.

Bottom line is that I need something to sell and make a small profit which will then generate other avenues.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:20 AM

The decision is a tough one, but you will not likely be successful opening a part-time shop. It takes full dedication for most small businesses to have a chance. You would be better off working double time at your current job and save enough money to live on for 2-3 years after you quit your job (also enough to buy your inventory). Then throw everything you have into your new business. This is what I did when I went into business for myself many years ago. I put up with 80 hour work weeks at a job I didn't like, so I could put in 100 hour work weeks as a small business owner. Without the 14 hour days, 7 days a week for a few years, most new businesses will fail.