Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow shop/archery range, in town or out of town? Please read my post before you vote. >

Bow shop/archery range, in town or out of town? Please read my post before you vote.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I would have no problem driving there
95.96%
No, I'm not leaving town
4.04%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Bow shop/archery range, in town or out of town? Please read my post before you vote.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:47 AM

Default Bow shop/archery range, in town or out of town? Please read my post before you vote.

I need some advise guys and gals.
As some of you know and have helped in my poll questions before,I am working on opening an archery business.
I have found a building that is about perfect! It is 50x200 so I can have a 30x50 shop/retail area and still have a 60 yard(actually 59) yard range. It would also allow me to have an outdoor shooting area that I have permission to build an elevated shooting deck. It has a HUGE grass field behind it I could use for big events. The whole compound is fenced in and has a storage business,a truck supply business and some warehousing. I would be the only retail business there though.

Here's the glitch
It is 5-10 miles out of town,depending on which end of town you are leaving from. It is 3 miles south of a major Hwy,just north of another smaller town and off the blacktop,on a gravel road 1.2 miles of gravel.

Advantages as I see them
Big building, allowing for a long range.
Rent is less than in town
Cool owner,willing to work with me
Secure
Outdoor shooting area(I get to use this for free!)
Owner does all the mowing and snow removal at no charge
Room for expansion
Plenty of parking
Great for outdoor cookouts/openhouse events
In the country,almost like going hunting!
8 miles from my house
Less restrictive County zoning laws
Owner pays electric bill, I just have to pay the heat in the winter
No water bill,it has it's own well and septic system
Building is SUPER insulated
Building is air conditioned for those hot days in summer
Building is 90% ready to go,just need to install a bathroom and a few fixtures
No Non-hunters/PETA typesdriving by while we are weighing deer for contests

Disadvantages
In the country
1.2 miles on a gravel road
No "drive by" exposure to potential customers,I would need to spend more on advertising

What do you guys think?
Would you drive 5-10 miles including 1.2 miles of gravel to get there?

Old 12-01-2006, 06:08 AM

Default RE: Bow shop/archery range, in town or out of town? Please read my post before you vote.

Thanks for those that have voted.
Can you please expound a little in a post as to why you voted as you did?
I am trying to gather info here to show my banker, who isn't sold on the out of town idea. Yet!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:09 AM

Default RE: Bow shop/archery range, in town or out of town? Please read my post before you vote.

Heck,, Id almost drive up there from MO, LOL. especially since our local archery shop sucks, Ive resorted to driving 30+ miles to one. Where I used to live, the archery shop was out in the middle of nowhere, 12 miles or so out of town, and then down a gravel road. They always did a good business. Just advertise and have good directions on your signs, and advertisements. Good luck with it,, is there any way you could buy it? I would be more concerned with opening up a business without owning the property or building, but I guess if youve got a good relationship with the owner it wouldnt be a problem.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:10 AM

Thanks Angus,
It is part of a 50 acre property. I don't have that kind of money!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

He may not understand if he`s not an archer.You can have events out there that you could`nt have in town.Gas aint cheap,but once word gets around that you built it they will come
Old 12-01-2006, 06:16 AM

Actually, he is a bowhunter.
I just have to convince him.
Thanks for the vote and post.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:18 AM

I drive almost an hour to get to my archery shop.
There is a dealer five miles down the road from me, but I dont really like how he treats his customers, so I will take the effort to drive the extra miles.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:19 AM

Would the gravel bother you Campo?
Old 12-01-2006, 06:26 AM

I'm heading to work now, won't be able to check back til after 7pm tonight.
Please continue to vote and post comments for me.
I appreciate all your help!
Thank you
Old 12-01-2006, 06:32 AM

If you prove to be a great shop and a owner people can relate to I don't think you'll have any problem....I travel 20+ miles to a shop and I have one not 5 miles from my house....The owner at the shop is a average joe who always has time for anyone and does a great job.....I don't think you'd have a problem....Might have to do a little advertising up at the main roads....

Quick Reply: Bow shop/archery range, in town or out of town? Please read my post before you vote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.