Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What makes a shop a "good" shop? >

What makes a shop a "good" shop?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What makes a shop a "good" shop?

Old 09-13-2006, 08:41 PM

Default What makes a shop a "good" shop?

What causes you to think the shop you take your bow to is a "good" shop or a bad shop?

What qualities do you look for in so far as service goes?

Any information you can provide will be most helpful.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What makes a shop a "good" shop?

For one thing, I like it when the guys behind the counter are as knowledgeable as I am... I mean, it'd be hard to hold someone to my standards because of all the information I glean off the internet, but after all... it IS their profession.

I hate it when I mention something that's the latest rage all over the internet (e.g., Slick Tricks) and they've never heard of them. I ESPECIALLY hate when a shop runs down a brand simply because they don't carry it or have access to it, regardless of the manufacturer.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

They don't talk down to me like I am an idiot. They perform competant work. They are nice and talk to you whether you are there to spend $10 or $1000.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:48 PM

What if you were to go into a shop and it was run by younger people. Generally speaking, my age and a bit older, say 18 - 25.

Would that cause you to have less faith in their work at first glance, or would you give them the benefit of the doubt about what they know?
Old 09-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a big novel typed up about this but instead I think I will just read the responses here. We seem to do better than most when it comes to attracting and retaining customers with our service but I hope to learn something from the responses here that we can do better or implement at the shop I work for. [8D]

Good post by the way.........
Old 09-13-2006, 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

What if you were to go into a shop and it was run by younger people. Generally speaking, my age and a bit older, say 18 - 25.

Would that cause you to have less faith in their work at first glance, or would you give them the benefit of the doubt about what they know?
Well taking that to the other extreme, a shop near me is run by a guy in his 60's and hes a big dope. Regardless of age, if the shop has a good reputation for service and overall helpfulness then it's a good shop.

Myself, I try to not rely on anyone but myself because then I know what I did and plus the satisfaction of working on your own bow is worth the extra time it takes to research.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

I had a big novel typed up about this but instead I think I will just read the responses here. We seem to do better than most when it comes to attracting and retaining customers with our service but I hope to learn something from the responses here that we can do better or implement at the shop I work for. [8D]

Good post by the way.........
Just from reading some of your posts, your shop sounds like one of the best in the country. Just the 60 yd. indoor range itself is enough to attract me.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:00 PM

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Well taking that to the other extreme, a shop near me is run by a guy in his 60's and hes a big dope. Regardless of age, if the shop has a good reputation for service and overall helpfulness then it's a good shop.

Myself, I try to not rely on anyone but myself because then I know what I did and plus the satisfaction of working on your own bow is worth the extra time it takes to research.
Well I'm mainly talking about a shop with no reputation. This would be a shop just opening up. Based completely on first impressions, would the sight of younger people working on your equipment deter you accepting their services?
Old 09-13-2006, 09:08 PM

Being only 20 myself, I would say no that age wouldn't be the deciding factor for me. I'm not one that would drop my bow off at any old shop just opening. It's far to expensive piece of equipment to give to someone that may or may not know what they are doing.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:13 PM

To me, a good shop has lots of knowledge and a decent selection. I want them to answer my questions with courtesy even if they are the questions of a rank beginner. At my shop, the tech is a great shooter and very knowledgeable. He is very patient with all my questions and has helped me immensely. When I complained about the rubber strap on my peep making too much noise, he twisted my string correctly so that I could use a regular peep without it turning on me. When he watched me shoot, he instantly identified that the previous tech had measured my draw length too short. He gives me fair and objective assesments of new products and seems to have a very open mind when it comes to bows. He shoots Hoyt but is always happy to work on any brand and I don't think I have heard him ever bash a particular company. The prices for the work are always very fair and if there is an issue, they fix it for you.

knowledge
selection
customer service
fair prices

Those things make a great bow shop IMO.

Quick Reply: What makes a shop a "good" shop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.