Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Setup

Old 10-12-2004, 07:03 AM

Default Arrow Setup

At full draw how much of the arrow tip should protrude past the bow rest. I noticed while practicing yesterday that with my setup the field tip is barely past the bow. Should I have my arrows cut slightly longer

thanks
Old 10-12-2004, 07:23 AM

Default RE: Arrow Setup

I really don't think there is one answer here. I perfer to have about 1" - 1.5" of arrow past where my rest contacts my arrow. Different factors can come into play here. With my new DropZone rest, I'm glad I had all 1.5" of clearance since they come close to hitting my riser as I draw. Not close enough for problems, but close enough.

If you feel that there may be a chance of your arrow coming off the rest at full draw, or that your broadheads may contact somewhere, it doesn't hurt to have them cut .5 - 1" longer.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:44 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Monroe Archer

At full draw how much of the arrow tip should protrude past the bow rest. I noticed while practicing yesterday that with my setup the field tip is barely past the bow. Should I have my arrows cut slightly longer
[quote]

Most Bows today will have over 5/8” clearance, from the sight window’s, bottom or side. Unless you have an arrowhead larger than 1 ¼” there should be no problem unless the head hits the arrowrest itself.

Some will tell you, to add 1 ¾” to the true draw length for your arrow length; but if you need to cut off an inch or more of that for the correct arrow stiffness, many times all will be OK with todays bows.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

some people like the arrow an inch in front of their hand some people shoot with the broad head up on the shelf
some people shoot with an over draw with the broadhead past the back of the shelf. it is really preference.
for safety sake it is best to have the end of the arrow shaft at least 1/2" in front of the shelf.