Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

arrow setup ?

Old 01-21-2008, 10:52 AM

Default arrow setup ?

do you align a broadheads blades with the fletching on a crossbow bolt
cuz a man i met told me that when an arrow is cocked you should see a blade sticking up and not aligned with the fletching. which is right?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: arrow setup ?

Try it and see but I've never seen a difference. That is probably more true of a two blade on a traditional bow set up. Axial alignment is all I worry about.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

I just always make sure that the fletchings are towards me and the broadheads point downfield.
BBO
Old 01-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BuddyBo

I just always make sure that the fletchings are towards me and the broadheads point downfield.
BBO
That's a good idea! LOL!
Old 01-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Xbow,

IMHO, if an arrow needs to be lined up so that a blade on the broadhead needs to be sticking up verticallyto shoot consistently there is something wrong with the arrow setup. I actually have that problem with my setup.

I shoot the Beaman Thunderbolts with a 125G broadhead which giving me a total weight of 450g. The F.O.C. (Front Of Center) is 10% with the 125g Slick Trick. I found that if I aligned the broadhead blades vertically and horozontally they flew perfectly and I put two consecutive arrows in the same hole at 40 yards shooting from a monopod. If I didn't line up the broadhead blades arrow flight was erratic. Typically high and left or low and right.

F.O.C is a measure of the balance of the arrow. In my case I do not have enough weight at the front of the arrow (F.O.C to low, should be at least 15% for a hunting arrow) and the broadhead is steering the arrow. I have since refletched the arrows with a 4 degree offset to see if that will stabilize the arrow but I have not shot them yet. To darn cold for me.

Bob

Old 01-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

My experiments don't jibe w. aligning blades to vanes. I use a small profile bhead [100 gr Slicks] and w/ that type bhead from what I've read, aligning blades w/ vanes is needless, some go as far as to call it an old wives tale. I do know that concentricity is very important. And, my FOC is alot higher than Bob's, close to 19% give a point one way or the other.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just make sure my arrow spins true when I put the BH's on....
Old 01-21-2008, 06:47 PM

When I used four blade Muzzy heads it was always just a spin test and go. I never had to try and align the heads like that, just me, but never had a issue with it.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same thing with 4 bladed Slicks. Just screw them on, spin for balance and go. Since I refletched with 2" Blazers on lacquer instead of wraps and installed 110 gr insert in my Lazer II's my arrows fly regardless to how the BH is turned.I'm guesing the +20% FOC has a lot to do with that.