Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 3rd Axis Adjustments >

3rd Axis Adjustments

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

3rd Axis Adjustments

Old 09-27-2004, 04:09 PM

Default 3rd Axis Adjustments

Hello, all.

I often get e-mail via my web site from people wanting to know how to set the 3rd axis. I'm not a competitive shooter, so I don't deal with it enough to be qualified to write an article about the correct way to set it up.

I can't pay anyone, since my site is nonprofit, but would anyone be willing to write such an article that dives into great detail with some photo support? I'd be willing to take several articles, combine and edit into one version. And, I'd give full credit to the writers.

The article would be posted on fastestbows.com.

Thanks,

jeffp
Old 09-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 3rd Axis Adjustments

It wouldnt need to be a very long article
however there are a few misconceptions about third asis leveling.
some people think that it has to do with up hill and down hill shots which is not so
third axis leveling is simply leveling the bows sight to the plum line of the bow string which is inportant for mover sights so that when the sight is moved for longer or shorter ranges the windage of the sight does not change
if you wand an article written about the subject you can e mail me I can share a few tips and tricks to properly setting third axis without using a leveling block.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

some people think that it has to do with up hill and down hill shots which is not so
I would have to disagree with this statement, to a degree. I have a CJ Pro III. Fixed pins, with 3rd axis. 3rd axis is set with the bow tipped forward and back, to keep the sight plum to the string at angles much steeper than any I would encounter on flat ground, due to differences in distance.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can disagree all you want still dont change the fact that third axis leveling is to keep the windage in the same plane as the string when the sight is moved up or down it has NOTHING to do with up hill or down hill shots.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

Isn't the bubble movement exaggerated on up/down shots if the 3rd axis isn't properly adjusted?
Old 09-30-2004, 09:11 AM

PDQ is correct about 3rd axis.
3rd axis is set up by leveling the sight when the bow is level, then pivoting the bown down on it's axis, then leveling the bubble by pivoting the sight forward or back, which eliminates rights or lefts while shooting up and down.
The sight bubble is on a different plane when tilted forward or back.

some sights do offer the ability to "square" the pins to the string, but this is NOT third axis.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Bigpapascout

you can disagree all you want still dont change the fact that third axis leveling is to keep the windage in the same plane as the string when the sight is moved up or down it has NOTHING to do with up hill or down hill shots.

I'm going to have to go with everyone else and completely disagree with this statement.

In a perfect situation, with no torque etc., the 3rd axis adjustment would set your pins square to the plane of the string. That way the bubble will stay centered as the bow is tilted up or down. However, since each of us may grip or torque the bow differently to some degree it may not be set exactly square. That's why instructions on 3rd axis leveling such as those put out by Spot Hogg have you check those adjustments with your bow at full draw.

For the sake of discussion, lets take that perfect scenario where the pins would be square to the string. If the 3rd axis is not properly set and the pins are no longer square to the string, the bubble level can still be adjusted to be perfectly centered on level shots. However, tilt that bow up or down (as in an uphill or downhill shot) and now the bubble is going to float to the higher side. That side will be higher because the level (and your pins) are not square to the bow. Setting the 3rd axis properly will eliminate this problem.

It may be a little hard to understand, but try this example sometime. Take a level and hold an end in each hand. Now hold it out in front of you and get the bubble centered. Now lean back or forward, keeping your arms straight out in front of your chest. The bubble should stay centered. This represents the level on your sight when the 3rd axis is adjusted properly.

Now, pull your left arm in toward your body while leaving the right arm extended. When standing upright, you can still get the level centered in the bubble with no problem. But now when you lean back or forard, one side of the level is going to be higher than the other and the bubble will follow.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:40 AM

Taken directly from the Spot Hogg website......

Q: Why is it so important to not only set your 3rd axis adjustment on the Hogg-It sight, but also to set it at full draw?
A: Leveling your 3rd axis keeps your bow in perfect vertical alignment, giving you pinpoint accuracy when shooting on all different terrain. Leveling your sight in a vise or on a 3rd axis leveling jig might get you pie plate accuracy, but for true pinpoint accuracy the leveling has to be done at full draw. Leveling at full draw takes into account the torque of the bow, which is important. We have taken a sight that has been 3rd axis leveled using a vice or jig, put it on the bow and with our shooting machine the Hooter Shooter can show 2 - 4" discrepancies on a 40 yard uphill shot. Then we leveled the sight, at full draw, and got no discrepancies on an identical shot. 3rd axis leveling, at full draw, is a detail that is often overlooked when setting up a bow. But is obviously important when asking for perfect results on a perfect shot.

3rd axis leveling
3rd axis leveling is the squaring of your level, so that the bow will be held in the same vertical plane for flat, uphill, or downhill shots. If your 3rd axis is not properly set, your level will lie to you, causing you to cant your bow when shooting up or downhill. Resulting in left and right arrows, no matter how good you executed your shot.
Leveling your 3rd axis must be done at FULL DRAW. Bow vises and bench jigs are not accurate because they don't take into account the torque in the bows riser when it is drawn. A sight that is squared at rest will not be square at full draw, when aimed up or downhill due to the torque in the riser. Both the Hogg-It and Hunter models have a 3rd axis adjustment that allow you to level up your sight without the bothersome task of trying to shim your bow mount.

HOW TO SET YOUR 3rd AXIS PROPERLY

1. Hang a plumb bob from your ceiling.

2. Nock an arrow

3. Kneel down (so that you will be shooting uphill)

4. Draw back, and aim up toward the plumb bob and align your vertical aiming wire to the plumb bob. See where you level is.

5. Let down, and make an adjustment to your 3rd axis (the object is to try and get your wire lined up with the plumb bob and your bubble level).

6. Redraw to see how close your adjustment is.

7. Repeat steps as necessary.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:39 PM

Well, at least I've proven that there are different opinions on what the 3rd is and how to correctly adjust it.

As I've already stated, I'm not an expert on the 3rd axis.

Questions:

-Does everyone agree that the 3rd axis will affect any shot made with the bow tilted up or down? This applies to any up and down hill shots, and long distance shots on level ground.

-Does everyone agree that the correct way to set the 3rd axis is to get your arrow and all of your pins in the same vertical plane as a centered level? Or you could flip flop that around and say: ... to set the 3rd axis is to get your level centered in the same vertical plane as your arrow and all of your pins.

-Does anyone agree that before you can even begin to set the 3rd axis, you much set the 2nd axis in line with the string and arrow?

-Does everyone agree that the bow must be at full draw to set the 3rd axis?

Just throwing crap on the wall to see what sticks.

I don't think I'm getting any closer to getting my article written.