Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Drop away rests in general >

Drop away rests in general

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Drop away rests in general

Old 09-27-2004, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Drop away rests in general

OK I'm working on my accessory list for a new x-tec.

My question is what is the advantages of a drop away rest? I currently shoot an older Hoyt with a standard gold key rest.
What would be better about a drop away? I am accurate with what I have and it's a no brainer to keep tuned. I would like my next bow to be the best of everything (for my tastes). So besides being the latest gadget what does it improve? I would expect arrow speed to be about the same. Yes you gain some speed on a dropaway from no friction but you would also loose some speed based on something driving the rest to fall. So is it safe to call speed a wash? Then whats the gain accuracy? If i hit what I'm aiming at it can't get better.

I'm not putting any rest down i just want to hear the pro's and con's. If your going to say, I shoot a blah blah and it's the greatest, tell me why it's better than anything else.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Drop away rests in general

I was faced with the same decision early this year after shooting prongs for several years. A couple of things did it for me:

1. I like shooting full helical for hunting situations. I wrap the feather as tight as a Bitz will allow and full feather clearance would be next to impossible to achieve under these circumstances otherwise.

2. Stability on the riser. I like to still hunt from time to time, and the fact that the arrow sits directly on the riser under my index finger makes it feel very solid and stable. Also, the arrow sits more securely on the riser than on a set of prongs while in a bow holder.

3. Quietness. I've got the Drop Zone wrapped with fleece and I can't detect a hint of noise even after the hundreds of shots that would have worn the coating/covering off of a prong rest.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:28 PM

I have a Hoyt Xtec and was shooting a prong style rest. I was having a difficult time tuning my broadheads and also when I got excited and pulled back to quickly the arrow would occasionally come off of the rest. I switched to a Muzzy zero-effect drop away and never looked back. I actually gained a few feet per second. As pointed out above, helical is a great way to fletch your arrows when shooting broadheads to help stabilize the arrow's flight. I shoot a hard right hand helical and my field tips and broad heads group right on top of each other (I can hit the same spot, I try not to destroy my arrows so I am not technically grouping by shooting one at a time). So obviously it eliminates a number of tuning issues. Also, as with all drop aways, it guides your arrow and then is gone, so you have less friction slowing your arrow down as in the case with a prong style rest, and absolutely nothing to cause fletching contact.

There are a number of great drop aways out there. I looked at several and chose Muzzy because it is very simple and does not have to be tied to the serving. Granted it is conencted to the cable guide but like I said, I gained a few feet per second. It has a nice long arm that keeps your arrow on the rest when stalking and when you pull back the arrow pulls into place every time. In my opinion it is the best piece of gear I could have bought for my set-up.

Just my two cents. I could go on about this rest all night so I will stop here.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:05 PM

Yes you gain some speed on a dropaway from no friction but you would also loose some speed based on something driving the rest to fall. So is it safe to call speed a wash? Then whats the gain accuracy? If i hit what I'm aiming at it can't get better.
After I got my Patriot we called Bowtech several times to protest the speed we were getting compared to what we thought we should get.

On one of those calls, I am almost certain the tech said to me, the company tests were made with a fall-away rest.

Now on the credence of those test results, rides a lot of money, one could visualize they would be using what they thought would give them the best results possible ???
And that, those results would sell the most bows ????

And I would not be surprised if speed was not one of the main components they were after ??
Old 09-28-2004, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanks guys, I appreciate the input!