HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Drop away rests in general
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2004, 07:28 PM
OH_RedNeck

Default RE: Drop away rests in general

I have a Hoyt Xtec and was shooting a prong style rest. I was having a difficult time tuning my broadheads and also when I got excited and pulled back to quickly the arrow would occasionally come off of the rest. I switched to a Muzzy zero-effect drop away and never looked back. I actually gained a few feet per second. As pointed out above, helical is a great way to fletch your arrows when shooting broadheads to help stabilize the arrow's flight. I shoot a hard right hand helical and my field tips and broad heads group right on top of each other (I can hit the same spot, I try not to destroy my arrows so I am not technically grouping by shooting one at a time). So obviously it eliminates a number of tuning issues. Also, as with all drop aways, it guides your arrow and then is gone, so you have less friction slowing your arrow down as in the case with a prong style rest, and absolutely nothing to cause fletching contact.

There are a number of great drop aways out there. I looked at several and chose Muzzy because it is very simple and does not have to be tied to the serving. Granted it is conencted to the cable guide but like I said, I gained a few feet per second. It has a nice long arm that keeps your arrow on the rest when stalking and when you pull back the arrow pulls into place every time. In my opinion it is the best piece of gear I could have bought for my set-up.

Just my two cents. I could go on about this rest all night so I will stop here.