Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

drop away rests

Old 09-15-2004, 07:22 PM

Default drop away rests

Well, i had purchased a b2 WB for this season. I liked the rest because of the point that the arrow stayed on the rest at all times, but i dont like what it has done to my vanes or the fact that it slowed my speed down quite a bit or atleast it seems that it did. So my point is that i am going to be going with a drop away now but there are just so many of them. So i was hoping to get some opinions or the drop aways you use and have used.
Thanks
Old 09-15-2004, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: drop away rests

Instead of spending extra bucks on a bandaide you should properly tune your bow. If you need help in tuning tips feel free to ask here. With the b2 biscuit you should be getting nil for fletching damage if it's setup correctly and tuned correctly with the proper spined arrows. Your speed loss should also be minimal.
Are you shooting vanes or feathers? If your shooting vanes do you notice black scuff marks on your vanes?
Old 09-15-2004, 09:16 PM

you are right, i really do like the biscuit. its not the speed that i car about. its just the vanes. yes there are some black scuffs on vanes. also the vanes are wavy, could this just be caused by cheap vanes? i did some searching around and read about the blazer vanves so if all else fails i will give them a try.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:58 AM

I'd also suggest sticking with the biscuit. You already have it & opening day is closing in so why not take a few minutes to make sure things are dialed in right & you should be good to go. It took less than 100 shots through the biscuit before the factory Easton vanes on my ACC's were pretty wrinkled up. I'd refletch with either feathers or a stiffer vane. Any of the Bohning products seem to hold up well to the biscuit, including the Blazer. I've used their Fletch Tite vanes and the low profile X-vanes with good results. I'll be hunting with feathers again this season & they seem to be holding up well also.

But if you're set on trying a drop away & looking for opinions, I really like the Golden Key TKO that I have set up on my LX. Tough to beat for only $50. It was easy to set up and works very well. This is what I use for 3-D. However, I prefer the simplicity of the biscuit for hunting (no moving parts to possibly fail). If the drop away fails and sends an arrow into the back end of a 3-D target, the only thing wounded is my ego.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:19 AM

get a hairdryer and put it on high heat and blast your vanes for a while with it. as they cool they will straighten out. the biscuit needs tuning, something ain't right. go to a good shop if you don't know how to do this and pay them to help you get it paper tuned, then group tuned. and don't let them shoot it. you have to be shooting it, i can't stress this enough. i recently put on a doodle drop, and i've shot lots of drop aways, and i like it very much. and notice if the bow is jumping sideways off your hand, it could be your grip. i used to shoot a biscuit and you should be able to clear this up. blazers may keep your vanes from getting wrinkled, but the scuff marks mean something isn't right, and is affecting your arrow flight, which will need to be fixed regardless.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

The WB is notorious for wrinkling vanes. They even say so on their website. Although, they do claim that it will have no effect on accuracy. A solution that I used and likes was to refletch all of my arrows with Arizina Archery Enterprises, Speed Flyte Vanes. These vanes are durable and don't wrinkle when shot through the WB. I own a chrono. and gained 9 fps when I swithced to these vanes. I had Duravanes previously. These were on the arrows that I bought at the pro shop. The shop charged $1.50 to refletch the arrows with me supplying the vanes. If you can't find the vanes they are available through Cabela's. Make sure you don't buy the AAE Plastifletch as they will wrinkle a little also. The Speed Flyte's won't.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first thing you need to do is take your bow to a reputable proshop and have them help you check the spine of your arrows and tune your bow! The black marks on the vanes are from the metal ring around the biscuit which means your in desperate need of some tuning. If you dont have a reputable proshop who will take the time to help you let us know and we can walk you through some steps that will get you on the right track. Personally I would do some bare shaft tuning to start with.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would get a drop away! Its just a hassle to blow dry your vanes and do this and do that............i have a trap door mach 4, and i love it. I have increased my speed and accuracy, i have to aim in differnt spot or ill robin hood every arrow i have. There are alot thats for sure, go with what you like and think about cold weather, how will it drop if its frozen, stuff like that, good luck
Old 09-16-2004, 09:08 PM

i dont see how the scuff marks means that something is wrong. i am shooting such a tight group that yesterday i robin hooded an arrow. i shoot that tight of group all the time, but that was the first robin hood,
Old 09-17-2004, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's only a problem if you want to shoot a tuned bow!

When I first tried the WB I used vanes as suggested and I ended up with the same black scuff marks and wrinkled vanes. I did some experiments with the WB to check it's biscuit (bristles) to see how easy/hard it would be to leave black marks on whatever passed through it. I didn't think CAP would produce a product that would leave it's own color on anything that passed through it and I was correct. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the bristles to leave any marks. Thats when I noticed the tiny spots of black paint that was worn off the biscuits outside ring. I'll bet if you shoot all your arrows with the same nock index the black scuff marks will be on the same vanes.

I've been a big fan of the WB since they hit the market and have often recomended them for a hassle free no nonsense hunting rest but the more I read about other peoples problems with it and the more I've experimented with it myself I think the term "hassle free" should be disassociated with the WB.[&:] Not that I dont think it's a great hunting rest but I believe too many folks think it's one of those "set it and forget it" things which just isn't the case. IME the WB is less forgiving to an underspined arrow than a conventional rest.

This may be a bold statement but I believe that if everyone that was shooting the WB last year (EVERYONE) had the proper spined arrows and had their bows tuned to those arrows there wouldn't be the new B2 biscuit this year. I say that because with the old biscuit and my bow tuned to the proper arrows I never had any type of fletching damage at all.

Can you shoot good groups with your arrow fishtailing through the biscuit and whacking the hell out of your vanes every shot? Sure! It just means your shooting your un-tuned bow with consistancy.
Tune your setup and you'll be doing the same without ruining fletchings!

Quick Reply: drop away rests

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.