Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bitzenberger Offset? >

Bitzenberger Offset?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bitzenberger Offset?

Old 09-11-2004, 07:29 PM

Default Bitzenberger Offset?

I have three questions that I am hoping you guys can help me with:

1) I'm curious as to how I tell what the degree of offset is with my Bitzenberger? I see the lines that show 0 degrees but how do I know if it is 3 or 4 degrees?

2) If I use the straight clamp, should the lower setting be at 0 degrees or should it be slightly to the left of center?

3) If I use the right helical clamp, should the lower setting be at 0 degrees or should it be slightly to the left of center?

Thank you to all who respond in advance.

Steve
Old 09-11-2004, 10:05 PM

Default RE: Bitzenberger Offset?

If for some reason, you want an exact 3 or 4 degree "offset," print this protractor image onto a sheet of paper and cut it out along outside of image. You do not need to cut the center out.

1. Set both the FRONT and REAR adjustment of your jig at "0" (zero).
2. Set a shaft in the jig cradles.
4. Using a clamp without a fletch or vane in the clamp, set the clamp on the shaft.
5. Using a FINE TIPPED felt pen, draw a line on the shaft along the blade edge of the clap, end to end. For a RIGHT FLETCH, draw the line on shaft on the LEFT side of the clamp. For LEFT FLETCH, draw the line on the RIGHT side of the clamp
6. Remove the clamp and remove the shaft from the jig, BE CAREFUL not to erase your line.
7. Lay the shaft on a hard surface with the line you drew facing up.
8. Using your paper protractor, lay the edge of the bottom of the protractor on just along the line and scotch tape the protractor edge to your shaft. MAKE SURE the degree measurement are at about the point that the front of your fletch or vane will be.
9. Carefully wrap the paper protractor around your shaft until the degree marks that you want are lying against the shaft. Using the fine tipped marker, place a mark on the shaft at the degree measurement you want (each mark is 1 degree).
10. Put the marked shaft back in the jig with the line and degree measure facing up.
11. Put the clamp back on the shaft so that the clamp edge matches the line your first drew.
12. Lightly loosen the FRONT setting of the jig adjustment.
13. Turn the dial of the FRONT adjuster until the front of the clamp aligns with the degree mark you made.
14. Holding the adjuster know firmly in place, retighten. Watch that the adjuster does not move your clamp off your degree mark. It will sometimes occur.
15. Sometimes you may have to loosen the REAR adjuster to allow the FRONT to move. I usually do not have to.
16. Once the angle of your clamp is correct, firmly tighten the locking screw on each adjuster.
17. Fletch away! HOWEVER……!

Depending on the "Outside diameter" of your shaft, you may not be able to get the degree of offset you want. Small diameter shafts will not let you offset the fletch to the degree that you can on a larger diameter shaft.

Regardless of the degree of offset you would like to have, you will be limited to the degree that allows the clamped fletch to fully engage with the surface of your shaft. WATCH for the ends of your fletch being OFF the shaft surface. If they are, you will have to reduce the angle until your fletch makes FULL contact with the shaft surface.

If you just want the maximum offset your shafts size will allow, ignore "Steps 1 through 16" and use the following method. It is easier to set.

1. Set both adjusters on jig at "0" (zero). Leave the locking screws loose.
2. Set a bare shaft in the jig cradles.
3. Put a fletch or vane in a clamp at the measurement you are using for how far you want the REAR of your fletch to be from your nock tip.
4. Install the clamp. ELIMINATE DRAWING A LINE AND USING PROTRACTOR.
5. Now move your adjusters so that front of your fletch just leaves the surface of your shaft. Bring the front of your fletch back onto the shaft so that the rail (bottom) of the fletch or vane makes full contact with the shaft surface. To the RIGHT for RIGHT fletch. To the LEFT for LEFT fletch.
6. Now do the same with the REAR adjuster, moving your fletch (rear) to the left for RIGHT fletch. To the RIGHT for LEFT fletch.
7. Keep adjusting until the fletch ends are both making full contact with the shaft surface.
8. You will find that you probably cannot move the REAR of the fletch (angle) as much a you can the front.
9. When I offset, I leave the REAR adjuster at "0" and only move the front adjuster.
10. I have used the same "eyeing" method for HELICAL.

I will be surprised if you were to get a 4-degree offset unless you are using larger diameter shaft. Even a 24XX shaft is pushing it for a 4-degree offset. At least, that was my experience. I believe Bitz claims that you can get a 6 to 8 degree offset, No way!

Old 09-11-2004, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always used the eyeball method like c903's steps 1-10 and agree you wont get as much offset as Bitz advertizes.

Steps 1-16?[&:] You trying to give the guy a headache?
Old 09-11-2004, 11:29 PM

Steps 1-16? You trying to give the guy a headache?
Almost gave myself a headache writing the steps. Reads longer and more complex than it actually is to do it. Once the jig is aligned, it is now just a matter of installing the fletch from then on.

As you do, I use the "eyeball" method. I used to be precise with measuring the angle, but I concluded there was nothing gained over "eyeballing" the clamp setting. I use two jigs so that I do not have to realign the jigs each time for the different OD shafts I use.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know how much of a degree bits advertises you can get from the jig but I can tell you that I have put some very radical helical feathers on shafts, at least 11 degrees by splitting rhe difference from center line to centerline.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:57 AM

Thanks to everyone that responded, expecially C903. Sorry I haven't been on lately but I just recoverd from the seizure I got reading your post.
I had thought about using a plastic protractor but I thought there would be an easier way. I guess nothing done right comes easy.
Anyway, time to get my equipment ready for tomorrow. Maybe I'll get lucky and the rain won't keep em bedded down.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, I guess I'd really want to know the offset to follow those steps C903. But thanks for posting them. When I do offsets on my Bitz, to me it is more critical that the entire set gets made with the same offset. It's not too critical for me to know the exact degree.

For repairing, since I still have to make adjustments to the nock after I make an arrow, I never really repair just one fletch. I tear all the fletches off and redue the entire arrow.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:21 PM

The main reason I asked my question, other than wanting to know for future arrow making, is that I fletched some of my arrows with the Quickspins to give them a try. With the stock, right helical vanes on my CX Hunters, I am getting very good arrow flight and groups. The 3 arrows I made with the Quickspin vanes look like drunken sailors going down range. I made all 3 with right offset at the same time without changing the settings on the Bitz so I was wondering what I could have done wrong. Maybe put too much or not enough offset on them. Either that or I just wasted $20. [&:] I was going to try right helical next since I already have them.

Steve