Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow for a beginner (without the marketing hype) >

Bow for a beginner (without the marketing hype)

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow for a beginner (without the marketing hype)

Old 09-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow for a beginner (without the marketing hype)

I just hope this sport becomes less confusing after one gets some experience with all the options available.
It does if you quit obsessing. If you continue to hang out here, well...

Old 09-09-2004, 02:10 PM

Less confusing....maybe. But that is now the least of your worries. Put a lock on your checking account, it is downhill from here..

Always remember to have fun,
JMAC
Old 09-10-2004, 10:46 AM

Go with the carbons. I would go with Goldtip XT's. They are much more durable and are about the same price you would pay for Easton XX75's.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:06 AM

One word of caution for Gold Tips, with short draw lengths they can be too light.

I use a 26" arrow and the gold tips i bought are only 359 grains (100 grain tips) which means i am barely over the 5 grain per pound guideline. I am probably going back to Carbon Express Terminator Hunters to get the arrow weight up a bit.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:57 PM

Start with someone who can atleast tell you what draw length you are. Once you found a bow you like, Check Ebay. They offer bows with all accessories for a fair price. A lot of people go there to get rid of last years model.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you have a good deal there Driftrider, and obviously you've put in some time researching/reading about the different accessories. I don't think you could go wrong with a Wisker Bisket a great, solid rest at a good price. You will be very happy. Go with carbon arrows right off the bat, you will be happier in the long run and can just buy the same kind when you need more rather than having 1/2 of them aluminumn 1/2 carbon as you start to switch. I think almost any brand/model should work very well for you.
String loops are great, think about "Tune -a-nok" for your arrow nocks, they are a little shorter than regular nocks and fit nicely with your string loop and release. I had problems with my release not latching because the "ears" of my nocks were too long. Not any more.
I'm not sure how balanced your bow is/will be but on my mathews I didn't bother with a stabilizer and I'm glad. I used the cash for limbsavers and I think I made the right move.
Many good options for sights, get one that looks and feels really solid. Hunting from the ground branches and briars will sneek in and try to rip off your sight pins. Montana Black Gold are a little spendy, but lifetime warrenty on pins.
One thing from hunting on the ground that I have found. If possible always try to position yourself uphill from the deer trails. It gives you a visual advantage of seeing more area and it seems like the deer won't spot you as quick as well. Have fun with your new toy.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Glen In Marland

Start with someone who can atleast tell you what draw length you are. Once you found a bow you like, Check Ebay. They offer bows with all accessories for a fair price. A lot of people go there to get rid of last years model.

Yeah, you might even find a good deal on a brand new Patriot at Scheel's or something...

Old 09-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had three different "pros" at three different pro-shops measure my draw length, which is 29 1/2" w/o a string loop, and 29" with one. One thing I really like about the Bowtech Infinity Cam is that it has an adjustable draw stop that can be precisely tuned to the exact draw length, and it's also the cause of the rock solid wall the Bowtechs have. The hardest thing to do will be to not draw the bow too quickly. I did that a couple times when I was test shooting the Bowtechs. The cam rolls over so fast into a very narrow valley right into the brick wall of the draw stop, and I had a couple arrows fall off the rest at full draw because of this. After a couple tries I got the hang of drawing smoothly through the valley and I was OK.

One word of caution for Gold Tips, with short draw lengths they can be too light.

I use a 26" arrow and the gold tips i bought are only 359 grains (100 grain tips) which means i am barely over the 5 grain per pound guideline. I am probably going back to Carbon Express Terminator Hunters to get the arrow weight up a bit.
My draw length is 29-29.5" (depending on the presence of a string loop), so I'd be ok. How much longer should the arrow be compared to the draw length? And does anyone know what the preferred arrow weight/pound of draw weight is roughly (I know there's no set magic number, just looking for a ballpark range)? I think somewhere I read that it's something like 6-7 grains/lb peak draw wt. The proshop guy told me, and I've heard it elsewhere too, that the ultra-light arrows tend to make a bow more noisy than the somewhat heavier arrows. I'd predict the a heavier arrow would also penetrate better as well, but I could be wrong as I don't know that much about the terminal ballistics of arrows.

Mike
Old 09-12-2004, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

Drift,Actually your arrows may be an inch or so shorter than your draw.I am a 28" draw and cut my arrows to 27" and could cut them a bit shorter.I shoot the Whisker Bisquit and love it.To save a few bucks you can get the older droptine version and add the newer bisquit.I just bought some PSE arrows,Radial weave stealth hunters,that I am very impressed with.They don't have the tightest tolerances,.006,but they shoot great.I have my Muzzys and field points to the same spot.Your options are almost endless and you don't have to spend alot of money,there is a ton of good used equipment out there.Good luck and have fun.Ron
Old 09-12-2004, 01:20 PM

driftrider,

I'd let Scheels set it up for you. They will do it for free since you bought it there. I bet they will install any accessories you bring to them also, and probably for free. And of coarse, any you buy there will be installed for free. At our Scheels up here, like any bigger store, it depends who is working as to how knowledgable help you get, but it will be a starting point that won't cost anything.