Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Marketing or truth? >

Marketing or truth?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Marketing or truth?

Old 10-25-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Marketing or truth?

Ok, so I was rather bored this evening, so I was surfin the net.....I came across ATSKO's website, makers of Sport Wash and UV Killer. We discuss marketing strategies of different companies here quite often, what do you think of this one? Fact or Fiction?

There is a 1/2 hour video on their website concerning UV and deer vision. It actually made sense, but most marketing strategies do.

They took a piece of fabric and before washing it, it weighed .044 pounds. They washed it in Tide, dried it, and then it weighed .047. They then washed that same piece of fabric in Sport Wash, dried it, and it weighed .043. Sounds to me like there's a lot of soap residue left on my clothes.....With that residue would be "stink", correct?

Then of course the topic of UV light and brighteners was discussed.......So what do you guys think?
Old 10-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Marketing or truth?

I don't wear any scent lock suit, never have. I do wash my clothes in that UV, scent free detergent and I have had some pretty good success.Have I been busted? Yes,but I have also had deer all around me for long periods of time.I Just try and play the wind and get in a tree where you have alot of cover around you.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy did athree tests once. I wasn't there but he is a German and is very technical. I will share what he shared with me.

He took his camo put it in the washing machine. Took it out and stuck it in the dryer using regular detergent. Under a black light it glowed.

Then he took his camo and washed it with the sport wash stuck it in the dryer and it glowed under the black light but not as much.

He then took a clean white rag and wiped down the entire dryer on the inside. Re-washed the camo with the sport wash and re-dryed it. He claims there were a couple of glowing spots but not much.

All this info is based on the premise that deer see in the UV spectra. I don't know if that is true or not though I've read data that says it is.

Tom
Old 10-26-2007, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wonder if all the swatches were equally dry.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Atsko does a good job of marketing. I got some free samples when I bought some ASAT.

I think all the hunting detergents say UV free, but wouldn't mind seeing some real world tests on
that and the effectiveness of scent killer sprays like Dead Down Wind. The only things I do are to run
one empty cycle with sportwash before washing and hang dry all my clothes in a fig tree behind my house.

Want to talk marketing, have you seen Dead Down Wind's line for female hunters? Wow.