Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Some thoughts on the whisker buscuit >

Some thoughts on the whisker buscuit

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Some thoughts on the whisker buscuit

Old 08-11-2004, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Some thoughts on the whisker buscuit

Jeff:

Not sure I qualify as someone who "loves" the Biscuit, but I have one on Frankenstein.

Pros: Containment, simplicity, quiet on draw without adding wear materials like heat shrink or moleskin. I was shooting broadheads yesterday, and they were grouping well out to 30 yards, about as well as I can shoot. Not as impressive as that Pro 38 last year, but still pretty good.

Cons: The need to learn brands and methods of fletching to avoid problems. Still probably not the most forgiving rest in terms of form breaks. I haven't noticed a huge difference in accuracy from my bows with other rests compared to the one with the Biscuit. I do, however notice when shooting 3D that I have more shots that I think were right on end up off by a little. I can't blame it on the Biscuit, it is more probably me, but I do notice it. BTW, the Blazer vanes fletched helical seem to shoot very well with the Biscuit for me.

I guess I'm still not sold that they are the best thing going, but seem to do a decent enough job. Most of my hunting spots are 25 yd. max shooting anyway.

I agree with Len as far as the setup goes. It is not usually as simple as many people want to make it sound. I definitely had to do some tweaking to get what I was after with Frankenstein. I have also gotten bullet holes up close and poor grouping/tune.

I plan to experiment with either an MZE or QAD on the new bow to see if it seems to make a difference.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

So for those who love the WB, I'd like to hear why you prefer it? It it the containment? lack of parts? to me that seems to be it's only advantages, yet it has a larger list of disadvantages (some speed loss...particular about fletching, false tunes, having to "trim" it, using an alum WB with carbons works better for many, etc.) And that's a serious question. I'm not looking for arguments, just trying to understand why so many love this rest that seemingly is very fickle.

I was always nerveous whether my drop away spring had moved 1/8" or not and I called off more than 1 hunt because of that concern. WB stays put - no moving parts!!!
Old 08-11-2004, 07:28 PM

Atlasman:

You quoted me on the subject and then went into an apparent eccentric dialogue about some possible extreme negatives concerning the WB - about which I don't agree.

I don't agree with the terms "shredder", "bounces arrows", "freezes to a brick", and "loud as a church bell"; and, never would dream of using those terms to describe any product. I try to stay with the facts as I see them on any product and am willing to share my experiences with users. I try to help people understand the negatives and positives of every product; but, the negative part of it is sometimes taken personally.
The WB performs a function at a reasonable cost but has a ways to go in the design to avoid some of its pitfalls. Eventually, with some modifications (some of which have already happened), it will become less of a burden in certain areas of concern.

When you quoted me and then used such expletives, I felt an implication. If that was NOT your intent, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Good hunting.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

I don't agree with the terms "shredder", "bounces arrows", "freezes to a brick", and "loud as a church bell"; and, never would dream of using those terms to describe any product.

When you quoted me and then used such expletives, I felt an implication. If that was NOT your intent, then...................

Good hunting.

Truthfully it wasn't my intent at all.

The only sentence in that post really meant for you was the beginning where I said that what you saw was obviously not normal or no one would ever use a WB.

The rest of my comments were just general observations gathered from various WB posts in the past.

I really didn't mean to imply that those were things that you have said or thought.

I apologize for the misunderstanding.
No problem

I still don't get the misguided comment though []
Old 08-12-2004, 06:08 AM

So for those who love the WB, I'd like to hear why you prefer it? It it the containment? lack of parts? to me that seems to be it's only advantages, yet it has a larger list of disadvantages (some speed loss...particular about fletching, false tunes, having to "trim" it, using an alum WB with carbons works better for many, etc.) And that's a serious question.
JeffB,

I'll give it a shot. This is how I see it. 99.99% of my hunting time is spent holding my bow. Whether it be in a stand or stalking, I like the way the biscuit holds the arrow. It is far superior to other rests at keeping the arrow quiet as you move. It's even silent when you bump a stick. It's far easier than having to hold the arrow with my finger, which may slip off of even knock the arrow off. In addition it's lightweight, simple and very sturdy - all important features for a hunting rest. So, for that portion of my hunting time (which is the vast majority of time hunting), I have a reliable rest that is more enjoyable to use.

When I actually have an opportunity to draw the bow, the WB is also superior. It makes no significant noise and the arrow will not fall off, no matter how unweidly the situation, the angle on the shot, or how nervous/cold I may be. Once again, the WB has a clear advantage here.

Now, on the occasion where I actually get to release the arrow (no more than .01% of my time), it only has to perform for one shot that day, with that arrow (I've yet to be able to retrieve an arrow and shoot it again that day). I'm 100% positive that on that one shot, the fletching will not fly off, my arrow will not fly sideways and I will hit very close to what I'm aiming at. What else is there? It performs adequately upon release, which unfortunately if a very tiny amount of the time I spend hunting.

I don't care about the 2 fps speed loss (not even a little bit). I don't care if I have to refletch more often (though I doubt I do). You see, it's not important to me what inconvenience happens at the bow shop or while I practice. I don't care if it's more difficult to tune (though it hasn't been for me). I'll spend the time needed to get the proper tune. I don't care if it's proven to be 1/4" less accurate at 20 yards than other rests. It's more than accurate enough for any hunting situation. What's important to me, is that it performs all day while I'm hunting. It only has to work for one shot, not 100 consecutive practice shots. It also has to perform while I'm stalking, sitting, standing or inattentive. It outperform other rests for 99.999% of my hunting time and is close enough to equal on the release, to be a clear choice for me. Like I've said in the past, second place isn't even close. But that's just me. I don't care how it holds up to practice, how suitable it is for 3D, or how accurate it is for spot shooting. I only care how suitable it is for a day of hunting where I hope to use it for one shot. Everything I do in archery has to do with hunting. When I shoot in 3-D or spot leagues, I use my hunting arrows and my hunting bow (with WB, non-moveable one pin sight, no peep sight, hunting index finger release). Guys laugh at me in 3-D, because I'm shooting near 500 grain arrows at 230 fps, on purpose. A hard core target shooter is always going to look at the WB a bit negatively. I don't blame them. It's a hunting rest, mostly for hunters who only care about the things that make for a more enjoyable and successful hunt.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:51 AM

Straightarrow,

Thank you! I agree with everything you said.

Good luck hunting! >>>------------>
Don't forget to vote!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well Put Straightarrow!
Old 08-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

SA,

Well said. You make some very good points. I don't shoot the biscuit, although I have tinkered in the past, however I do feel like they are a good alternative for a hunting rest. I would shoot one with out a doubt and with out any ill regret. I don't have any problems with my current hunting rest and I don't hold my bow and most of my time is spent up a tree so for me so I haven't ever run into any issues that predicate me changing. But I think if I were going to change, I would go to the biscuit.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well it's my time to "chime in here". I use the WB for all my bows. I love the positive features enough to overlook and overcome the negitive. Len Said it best when he said all products have good and bad points, or something to that effect. Heres why I like the rest.
1. Simple, no moving parts to break or come loose
2. full containment which is a major plus for hunting
3. Simple installation and reasonably easy to tune.( this is subjective, but it is not harder to tune for me than most other rests)
The Negitives of the rest are:
1. You must use more durable fletching to avoid problems and wrinkeld vanes
2. You can get a false tune if you just tune up close and not and serveral differnt distances. ( this to me is not major as to properly tune a bow you should tune at several different distances)
3. The rest is more critical of arrow spine. You need to start out with arrows that are spined closely to what you need. With some rests under or over spined arrows can be made to shoot well, not so with the WB.

As for accuracy, I find my groups are as good as with any rest, but again my arrows are spined right, I use good fletcing and the bow is tuned well. The rest is not perfect but for me it offers excellent performance and resonable cost.

Would I use the rest for a 3D rig or target bow, No, it's not ideal in those situations for me, but it could be used in a pinch. Would I use a small launcher style rest or prong type rest while hunting, not any more, becuase the WB does a better job in my case. It's all about confidence in your choice of equipment for the task at hand. I have spent a lot of time "learning" the pro's and con's of the WB and have learned even more since my first review of the rest. The keys are:
1. loose fit is better
2. Use good stiff fletching or feathers
3. Arrow spine is critical so match it properly and go slighty stiff, but not over board
4. Tune at multiple ranges, I like 3, 8 and 15 feet.
5. Watch for contact with the metal ring around the Biscuit, if your not setup properly it is possible to get fletching contact with this rest. If you do you have something out of "whack" and that needs to be corrected.
6. I like to trim it up some, even with the new B2 version. some trimming helps with tuning and fletching wear.

I am sure I have forgotten some points, but these tips have helped me. My personal setup is 27" 2314's with 125 grn points and 4 3" right helical feathers. Shot from a 29" draw Darton Rampage set at 71 lbs. This setup shoots very well, tunes easily and the shorter lower profile feathers hold up very well.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:39 AM
Spike

I have been considering 3 different rest for my new bow and after reading this I am more confused. Since I shoot some 3D and Hunt with the same bow it is a tough call. I have been considering the MZE, Bisquit, and the Trophy Taker Shakey. I am purchasing a Bowtech Liberty.

Then there is always the new improved Whisper Disk.