Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Attach light to bow for hunting hogs at night >

Attach light to bow for hunting hogs at night

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Attach light to bow for hunting hogs at night

Old 08-26-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Attach light to bow for hunting hogs at night

I'll be bow hunting hogs at night (legal in TX except possibly not during deer season). Has anybody done this?

I thought I would use cable ties to fasten a 6V (dual CR123 cell) flashlight to the stabilizer and a remote pressure switch for the grip. Only problem is that the pins aren't lit up. I have Trophy Ridge sight, but even with the little gel-cell light installed the pins are too dark. If I could mount the flashlight further back so the light hit the fibes for the pin sight they would be bright, but I haven't figured out how to do this yet.

Some people use headlights, but I would prefer a bow mounted light. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old 08-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Attach light to bow for hunting hogs at night

I took a maglight and drilled a hole in the end an put a bolt and nut in it the same size as my stabilizer hole and screwed it on to my bow. It works great. When I guide hunts at night I use it all the time.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:21 PM

So you run our light full time while night hunting? Do you see any tactical advantage for using a pressure switch, or is that unnecessary?
Old 08-26-2004, 11:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have done the same as texasaggie.
Changed out the clear lens for a red lens.

As you can see I have worked it so the switch is at the top of the light for easy on off operation.

I just turn the light on when the pigs come in the red light dont bother them at all.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

Whatever you do, don't move the light so far back that it will illuminate your pins from the archer side. The stray light will not only hit the pins but everything else on your sight. This will effectively cause anything beyond the sight to appear totally black (Same principle as the cop putting the light in your eyes when he approaches you.....just not as extreme)

I would opt for one of those smalll battery powered blue or violet lights like this one

Velcro it on your riser shining at the pins. They work great.

If you want a higher end solution, the Pro Light DX by LP archery works great. I have one and for hogs the thing just can't be beat. Pro Light DX
Old 09-02-2004, 07:03 AM

I got a clamp from Cabelas for mounting a light to a shotgun/rifle and used it to attach a surefire flashlight to the stabilizer on my bow. The idea was to use my little finger to press the rear switch on the flashlight at full draw. It works, but I'm torqueing the bow a little when I actuate the flashlight, I haven't figured that one out yet, I could always just turn on the light before drawing. I also have a red filter for the flashlight on order.