Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Will a couple fps change POI? >

Will a couple fps change POI?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Will a couple fps change POI?

Old 07-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Will a couple fps change POI?

I'm thinking about putting catwiskers on my bow and I was wondering if the loss of a couple fps will change my Point of Impact? If it does will my broadheads still hit with the field points?

Also, this may sound paranoid but when I get in my stand I always hand check my muzzys to make sure there tight, I'm always afraid i'll bend the blades and cause bad arrow flight. Will a slight bend hurt the flight? Thanks!
Old 07-29-2004, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Will a couple fps change POI?

It depends on how much of a speed loss you are talking about, a loss of more than 5 Fps will change your point of inpactabout an inch from 20 yards.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't worry about a couple of feet per second difference. At hunting distances that will be very minimal. If you have a bent blade, that could make a difference. I would watch out for tightening broadheads with your bare hands. I think a guy would be more apt to cut himself than to bend a blade with bare hands.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont think it will change your poi enough that you will be able to tell the difference. it all depends on where they are placed.

as far as your muzzys go....just shoot thunderheads and you wont have to worry about bending the blades[8D]
Old 07-30-2004, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a GE speed bow back in "97 and did some checks. Shooting an NFAA Hunter face at 35 yards. This has a bullseye of approx. 3". At 290fps the bow has shooting just a hair low in the bull. At 305fps I was hitting the top of the bull. So it figured that 15fps difference made a POI change of about 2" at 35 yards. I shot the lower poundage and less speed for more control and accuracy.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alot depends on the speed we are talking about and the distance. I drop about 18 fps when I switch to my hunting arrows, same diamter, same tune. I have pins for 20,30,40,50. 20 and 30 are still dead on perfect, 50 is about 4 inches low, 40 is noticeable but not by much.

speeds are 270 and 252.

--Bob