Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Broadheads...To change or not to change >

Broadheads...To change or not to change

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Broadheads...To change or not to change

Old 10-21-2004, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Broadheads...To change or not to change

I have been shooting NAP thunderheads for years now and have been very very impressed. I am currently shooting an 85 grain head with a 28 inch Gold Tip hunter 5575. I am thinking about trying Muzzys this year, i have been considering it for awhile. I like the looks of the big Trocar tip, looks like it should have some serious penetration. Plus I like the way the blades lock into place. I know muzzy makes a great broadhead but i wonder if i would be making a mistake by changing. What do you guys and ladies think, should i stay with my allready proven thunderheads or see if i like the muzzys better? I will probably go with the 90 grain muzzys. Also should i go 3 blade or 4. My bow is a PSE thunderbolt 1 Cam set on 72 pounds with a whisker bisket carbon.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadheads...To change or not to change

If you think it would do something for your confidence than go for it! However, IMO, I don't think you should expect the Muzzy to perform ANY better than the Thunderhead that you've used for so long. Very simliar in performance. If you wanna try something that i have NO doubt will not nly out shoot but out penetrate than take a serious look at the Rocket Steelhead 100XPs! These new for '04 b-heads are proving incredible! Take a peek at 'em and try something different?
Old 10-22-2004, 10:22 PM

I would def. try the Muzzy broadheads. They are not going to perform a lot if any different than what you're already using, but you may be suprised. I really like the Muzzy's because they penetrate well and blade changing is simple. You can also use the practice blades which shoot the same as the standard broadhead.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:09 AM

You might want to check out the slick trick broadheads also. I just recieved the ones I ordered and I don't think you can find a better biult head and they truly did impact right with my field points. Good luck with whatever head you choose.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

Wasp broadheads have really impressed me this season. The replacable heads are outstanding.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:07 PM

Both great broadheads....can't go wrong with either.....also look @ the lineup from Rocky Mountain, they make awsome broadheads
Old 10-31-2004, 06:16 PM

i have tried a bunch of broadheads. I like to shoot them through heavy plywood with a 2419 at 250-255 fps- that is 625 to 650 grains total. Just to see how they hold up. Here is what I have found. The muzzy 4 blades do better than the 3 blades- by a long shot. They are great heads.Our results on shoulder hits with game shows the same. The ferrul on the 3 blade bends more. The rocky mountains seldom hold their blades. The wasp hammer sst is by far the best 3 blade. I realize we dont hunt wood, but this is my test for toughness. To me, I would not shoot a muzzy 3 blade, but a lot of people do. Id shoot the 100 wasp hammer sst. But that is me.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I, too, have shot a bunch of broadheads over the years so am no novice. One thing I haven't shot is mechanicals and for my own reasons. That being said, I think there are two broadheads that have a lot going for them and I'll state why.

They are Muzzy's and InnerLoc. These both have blades that slide into the front of the ferule and the point screws on. This is a nice feature for a couple reasons. One, once you have spin tested your head and aligned it with the shaft you don't have to loosen it to change the blades so the integrity of that alignment is left alone. Two, there is a solid piece of that ferrule behind the blades so in the event you hit bone the blades don't get driven back through a washer like some broadheads use. I've driven through that washer on occassion with the result being that blades came out in the animal. This makes for a precarious gutting job as I don't like cutting fingers off.

Of the two I like the InnerLoc simply because I think it is machined with tighter tolerances and the tip actually has a steel rod that enters the entire length of the ferrule. I think this is stronger than just screwing a tip onto an aluminum ferrule. I've also had better luck tuning them. I know some people who have had tuning problems with Muzzy's, but I don't consider the head the problem. It's akmost always an alignment problem or a tuning issue.

My best advice would be to use the off-season to experiment. My goodness, there are 7-9 months a year to answer all these questions for yourself. Goodluck.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

BGfisher is on to the most important thing about muzzy broadheads, the blades can't come out of them. You can break the blades as you can with anyother broadhead, but they won't come out. We used to shoot broadheads into concrete walls. It is amazing to see a broadhead come apart. Muzzy broadheads never came apart, messed them up bad, but didn't come apart. Beltedmag I want you to know I have all the respect in the world for thunderhead, but I would not shoot them. I am old school, I shoot 130 muzzy 4 blade on a 2314 XX75 shaft at 26" 489grs. at 265f/s and I blow right through elk. And if you ask will they fly, yes. I tune for 80yds with my broadheads. The reason I put so much effort in is this, if they group at 80yds then 40yds is a chip shot. To push the point farther, I shot my ram at 55yds and there was no way you could lose that blood trail. If you have that kind of belief in thunderhead, don't change! And if you give muzzy a try, I would shoot 4 blade. And set them up to look like an X not a t. For me they shoot just like a dart.
Gselkhunter