Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Single Cams vs. Hybrid Single Cams >

Single Cams vs. Hybrid Single Cams

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Single Cams vs. Hybrid Single Cams

Old 07-28-2004, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Single Cams vs. Hybrid Single Cams

dino195.

Welcome to the board.

The best thing I can reccomenend you to do is visit as many Pro Shops as you can and shoot as many different brands and models that you can.

Then pick the one that feels the best for you and your shooting style.
Because what feels right to me is probably gonna feel like crap to you
Old 07-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

A single cam string stretches a lot more than a Hybrid cam's string. I'v seen single cam strings stretch as much as 1 1/2 inches. Thanks Zebra!
Is that all? And you worked on a pro shop. I've seen much more stretch then that.

This is a non-issue to anyone who wants to make it that way. A well made single cam string will not stretch 1/16" in 20,000 shots with today's materials. I've made them and personally taken the measurements to come up with these numbers.
How is that for the bow though?
What is wrong with an old dual cam 41" ATA, with the tear-drop steel cable system?
Reminds me of my jennings carbon extreme. Very nice bow.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

A single cam string stretches a lot more than a Hybrid cam's string. I'v seen single cam strings stretch as much as 1 1/2 inches. Thanks Zebra!
Is that all? And you worked on a pro shop. I've seen much more stretch then that.

This is a non-issue to anyone who wants to make it that way. A well made single cam string will not stretch 1/16" in 20,000 shots with today's materials. I've made them and personally taken the measurements to come up with these numbers.
How good is that for the bow though?

What is wrong with an old dual cam 41" ATA, with the tear-drop steel cable system?
Reminds me of my jennings carbon extreme. Very nice bow
Old 07-28-2004, 03:23 PM

None of it really matters as much as you think it does. I own a Darton with the cps cams and a very forgiving configuration. I also own a Bowtech mighty Might VFT with a single cam and short ATA. The bowtech is more accurate than the darton, go figure. I guess it just fits me better and I shoot it better. It's not the bow, it's the guy pulling the string 98 percent of the time. I have seen exellent archers shoot VERY well with old poorly tuned bows. I have seen avarage archers shoot like crap with perfectly tuned expensive bows.

The only real advantage I have seen lately is the effeciency of the current bows. My new bow at 26 inches and 53 lbs shoots faster than a 10 year old bow with an inch more draw lenght and 20 lbs more draw weight. Plus it's lighter, quieter, has less recoil and vibration. Not to mention the grip is waaay better. This is good news for little people like me.

Paul
Old 07-28-2004, 11:49 PM

Lots wrong with the old tear drop steel cables!!! They will rust and break at the tear drop, which happened to me several times on the 70's and 80's bows that I owned. Of course it would have helped if I wasn't shooting 80 pounds most of that time also. I also had lots of limb problems back then too. Today's bows are better constructed and engineered to last a very long time and regardless of the cam system, will shoot better than you can hold it. Most of today's cam systems are marketed to sell bows, plain and simple. The cam system is the the item that will make or break sales for most bow companies IMO. Good luck with your's