Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

single cams?

Old 04-24-2008, 11:01 PM

Default single cams?

iv owned a duel cam but have never shot a single. iv been looking at several single cams for my next bow and was just wondering what the advantages are of a single cam over a duel cam.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: single cams?

As a general rule, single cam bows have a smoother draw cycle but are typically "slower"than their hybrid, dual or binary counterparts, all else being equal.

Another advantage touted by single cam producers is the ease of tuning. That's up for debate.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:32 AM

None in my opinion, at least not in the current market. Unless you like a really long string?

Paul
Old 04-25-2008, 12:08 PM

dont haveto worry about timming. thats the big one (i have owned a single but never shot a duel
Old 04-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: musclecarman92

dont haveto worry about timming. thats the big one (i have owned a single but never shot a duel
If you never shot a dualie then how do you know? Did you read it somehwre or someone told you?

Truth is, both dual and single cams are good, and they both have there draw backs. To get the best performance a dual cam has to have the cams in sync. This is not a problem with good string and cables. As a rule dual cams are faster and have a smoother draw cycle.

Single cam has to have the cam timed properly to get the best performance. Again, not a problem if the bow has good string and cable on it. Single cams usually are just slightly slower and have a harsher draw cycle.

These are just a couple examples. For a general hunting setup there isn't all that much difference. It still comes down to having good string/cables on the bow.

Having shot dual cam bows for about 25 years and single cam bows for about 8 years, 30 different bows during that time, I think I've learned a thing or two. I prefer a dual cam bow over a single. That being said, I'm presently shooting a new bow with Binary cams. Then I'll have some first hand knowledge about these things and not have to rely on what "someone said".
Old 04-25-2008, 07:51 PM

I HAVE SHOT MANY SINGLE/DUAL CAMS ALSO, MY BOW OF CHOICE AT THE MOMENT IS A BINARY..MY BACK UP BOW IS A SINGLE CAM...I THINK IT HAS A REALLY SMOOTH DRAW TOO. I THINK IT HAS TO DO WITH PERSONAL PREFERENCE MORE THAN ANYTHING
Old 04-26-2008, 11:40 AM

ORIGINAL: WVSPORTSMAN

I HAVE SHOT MANY SINGLE/DUAL CAMS ALSO, MY BOW OF CHOICE AT THE MOMENT IS A BINARY..MY BACK UP BOW IS A SINGLE CAM...I THINK IT HAS A REALLY SMOOTH DRAW TOO. I THINK IT HAS TO DO WITH PERSONAL PREFERENCE MORE THAN ANYTHING
i agree