Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bare shaft tuning? >

Bare shaft tuning?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bare shaft tuning?

Old 03-23-2004, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bare shaft tuning?

Do any of you do bare shaft paper tuning? Do you think it shows you anything that a shaft with feathers won't show? Do you feel it is worth the time?
Old 03-23-2004, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bare shaft tuning?

I do it occasionally. I haven't for while though. I did it on a Reflex bow I had because I was having problems getting a tune in it.

Basically, it eliminates the fletch contact from the equation. If you can get a perfect tear with a bare shaft, it makes it easier for the fletching to keep an arrow flying straight. Make sense?

Personally, I don't give paper tuning too much thought anymore. I do it, but only to get me close. Group tuning is answer.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:32 PM

Yea. I shoot through paper and also group tune with a bare shaft. Mainly what it does is show you that all of the possible energy is being transfered into the arrow, and not being wasted. A bullet hole is what you want(obviously) and then i want my bare shaft to group with my feltched shafts. I robben hooded a fletched arrow with a bare shaft at 40 yards, so im pretty safe to say that its tuned. lol.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:42 PM

I do it as part of my whole tuning process. The B/S gives me spine and nock point. From there I group tune out to 60 yds. I may tiller tune if I'm not holding good. I shoot a B/S every once and a while just to see if anything moved. Jerry