Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bare shaft tuning >

Bare shaft tuning

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bare shaft tuning

Old 09-25-2004, 02:38 PM

Default Bare shaft tuning

I was flipping through my Easton Tuning Guide and came across the bare shaft tuning test. It said that compound finger and recurve finger shooters should do this. I thought that compound release shooters did this as well. Should I do it?
Old 09-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bare shaft tuning

I've yet to bare shaft tune but plan to do so sometime soon. Might not be a necessity but I'm curious what the results will be.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:27 PM

I had a lighter kids bow that I put a wooden dowel arrow on. I shot it and it went 20 feet and flew off to the right about 15 feet. I just don't want this to happen to my real arrow considering it will fly a whole lot farther.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the bare shaft method from time to time just so that I know my bow is in tune. I shoot a string loop and a release. Just make sure that you're not shooting more than 10 yards and you have a good back stop for safety reasons. I usually shoot the bare shaft first and then shoot a fletched arrow beside it so I can make the comparison. Also you want to pick a day when the wind is calm and you'll want to shoot 3 or 4 times before you make any adjustments if needed. Happy Huntin..
Old 09-26-2004, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the bare shaft tuning method all the time , I actually prefer bare shaft tuning over paper tuning. Start out close (maybe 10 yards) for safety reasons in case your arrow spine is way off. This will be amplified at further distances so make sure you aim dead center of a fairly big target , I've seen extremely underspined un-fletched arrows hit as much as 2 feet to the right. Get your nock point set first and then tune for horizontal flight.
If you find yourself having to lower or raise your bow poundage to something your not comfortable with in order to get good flight , try different arrows!
Old 09-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

I do both.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:41 PM

I wouldn't fool with it. Paper tune your bow & you will be just fine!
Old 09-27-2004, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't fool with it. Paper tune your bow & you will be just fine!
Very misleading comment , especially for a young archer!

From my experiences and it's only my own opinion but paper tuning doesn't hold a candle to bare shaft tuning!
Paper tuning does show hand torque problems but it can be very confidence draining for a young archer (or any archer) who cant get past the hand torque and achieve bullet holes. The fletchings on the arrow will recover the arrow in time for any hunting distances. If your getting bad tears paper tuning back up and shoot from 5 yards and I'll bet your getting bullet holes.
If your bare shafts are impacting the same as your fletched shafts from 10-30 yards there's nothing more satisfying!
Old 09-27-2004, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

Right on bowfinatic!Agreed 100percent.