Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bare shaft tuning? >

Bare shaft tuning?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bare shaft tuning?

Old 03-24-2003, 09:34 PM

Default Bare shaft tuning?

Does anyone remember the correct procedure for bare shaft tuning? i seem to remember that you turn your limb bolts down one turn to approximate the loss of fletches. But this does not seem right cuz it should ruin your F.O.C. Is this right? And if so is this something that most people do?
Old 03-24-2003, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bare shaft tuning?

Bare shaft tuning is a debate that pops up here quite often when the new bows are purchased, and tuning starts. Some swear by it, others don' t think its necessary. I still haven' t decided myself. If you remove your fletches that would change your weight and balance of arrow. Which should effect FOC. But most I know mainly bare shaft tune at close yardages to detect arrow flight for spine correctness, and rest alignment. I' ve read a few articles, and posts here. I recall 1 article where a guy used tape at the end of his shafts to makeup the weight lose of no vanes. I also read bare shaft tuning can be dangerous if your arrows in that minimum grain to poundage catagory on the shaft charts.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:44 AM

I personally use bare shaft tuning only to get my poundage set to match my arrow' s spine. Once the arrow are flying perfectly straight, then I use other tuning methods that involve moving my rest and nocking point.

BuckAlley, the tape idea sounds like a good one. Although the vanes don' t add up to much, it will affect spine slightly.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

I paper tune first then check bare shaft flight up to 20 yards. I' ve never had to do any adjustments in bare shaft tuning if I paper tuned first. If you shoot fingers then paper tuning may not be for you. In that case I highly suggest bare shaft tuning. First make sure your arrows without fletchings are still 5gr/lb draw. Then download the Easton Tuning Guide and read it. It is very detailed but easy to use.

[link]http://www.eastonarchery.com/news/tuningGuide/complete_tuning_guide.pdf[/link]

Cargo
Old 03-25-2003, 07:36 AM

Bare shaft tuning basically tells you if your spined perfectly. Its not an actual tuning method. You should paper tune, get good tears and then bare shaft. You can get perfect tears and still be under or over spined, and get impact points way off between the two. Bare shaft gives you absolute truth in whether your bow and arrows are matched.Id never heard the part about turning the limb bolts down. The only part where you turn down poundage is after you bare shaft, and if your impacting right with the bald shafts your underspined and you should be able to poundage down and get them to hit closer to gether.Thats the idea behind no fletch. Wheres that arrow going without being steered by the vanes. An inch or two within f.pts. at 20 yds is usaully considered perfection.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:52 PM

thank you this helped and yes my paper tune was good and so was the bare shaft tune. and yes this was setting up a new bow and figured that i might as well tune it up as best i could to begin with cuz i only like messing with my bows once good to begin with then just as needed for the life of them. Thanks agin guys and gals.