Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Newbie witha bow need advice on sights! >

Newbie witha bow need advice on sights!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Newbie witha bow need advice on sights!

Old 02-28-2004, 05:02 PM

Default Newbie witha bow need advice on sights!

I am just beginning into archery my setup is xtec set at 68lb, WB rest, matrix 3 pin, shooting a 26in GT xt arrow, draw length 27in.
I have been practicing indoors in my barn and moved the to 15yds and have been doing pretty decent with it shooting 2 -3 in groups, enough to start ripping up fletchings once in a while and yes I get the occasional flyer off by 4 inches. Anyway I just got back in setting my sight pins at 15yd, 25 and 35 yds. I am strictly hunting and I have to tell you I dont really feel comfortable at 35yds although at every position I am shooting inside 6in groups? But know what do I go to the 15yd pin and practice and set mess with my sight till I am shooting even better then back up to the 25 yd pin and do the same.
Iguess what I am getting at do I need to practice at further distances even though I wont be hunting that far, or do I prctice like he!! at 15 then 25 and so on?
What r most of your hunting pins set at? And when do you feel you have it down when you hit x mark every time or what is good enough? Please dont take out of context I am not trying to take the easy way out just wondering what all the hunters do?
Old 02-28-2004, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Newbie witha bow need advice on sights!

I've got pins out to 60 yards - not that I'd take a shot that far, or even be able to in a Pocono forest. I like to think that practicing from 40 or 50 yards keeps the 20 yard shots looking simple. The longer shots certainly amplify any imperfections in form or setup you have.

I'd say try shooting from beyond your comfortable range for a week, then come back to practical hunting range and see for yourself if it had a positive effect. It may make your hunting shots seem simple - that is until you've got a 140 class buck in front of you!

Fritz
Old 02-28-2004, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd say if your shooting as well at 15yrds and25yrds and even 35yrds then you shouldn't have any problem shooting even further .I practice at 45 and 50yrds but when I'm ready for hunting I'll be grouping my arrow's the size of a toonie at these shorter distances .You may not feel comfortable at first but after shooting a couple dz arrow's at further distances and hitting the target, you'll only get better .

nubo
Old 02-28-2004, 09:58 PM

When i shot a pin set-up I always put my pins at 20, 30 and 40 yards. if you feel comfortable with the 15, 25 and 35 yard set-up leave them at that. If you are strictly shooting to practice for hunting keep at it and the groups should tighten with practice. try shooting your futherest distance first. that way you are not already tired when you shooting it.