Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Newbie, need bow advice >

Newbie, need bow advice

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Newbie, need bow advice

Old 07-29-2008, 08:40 PM

Default Newbie, need bow advice

I have shot a compound for a long time, and have been thinking about getting a trad bow for a couple of years now. Problem is,I shoot lefty, and NO ONE keeps left handed trad bows in stock. Of course I can order one from Cabelas or something, but I have no idea on what it would feel like. It would be a shot in the dark. If I'm gonna do that I want it to at least be an educated shot in the dark.

So what advice would you give someone in my shoes? I pull 60 lbs on my compound, with a 28" draw. I think I want a recurve, and probably something that will handlea fast flight string. Just a decent solid bow that will handle deer and hogs without breaking the bank. Obvioulsy I don't want to have to upgrade after just a year or two, but you get what I'm saying. I also live way out in the sticks, don't have lots of opportunities to go shop around and try things. I am probably going to have to just wing it from a catalog.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Newbie, need bow advice

Conventional logic is to start with a bow in the 45 lb range. But, given your situation, I'm going to go slightly against the grain on that and recommend a 50. That will be plenty for deer and hogs and not be too hard to work into relatively quickly. But, I'd say if you have to work at it to get the bow drawn to anchor at first, don't shoot many arrows.

Instead, work on drawing the bow to anchor and holding it there as long as you can before letting down. Do it like weight lifting, 10 reps, rest, 10 reps and rest... When you get tired, quit for the day. When you get where you can handle the draw weight easily, THEN you can start on learning to shoot it.

And it's always possible that you'll be able to handle the bow with no problems at all from day one.

Take a look at the ChekMate Falcon recurve at www.recurves.com or, another option I can recommend is the Bear Grizzly. http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=44&s=155&p=200&i=20861X

You might be able to get a good deal on a used bow by checking the classifieds here or one of the other traditional archery forums.

Just be aware that, no matter whether you want to upgrade in a couple of years or not, chances are this will only be your first traditional bow. A whole lot of people try out traditional and get bitten hard by the bug.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:51 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

A few shops try to keep lefty bows in stock. If you are looking to buy used, check with Sipsey River or The Footed Shaft--they both usually have a good selection of used bows on hand, including left-handed.

For new, check with Kustom Kingand Lone Wolf would be two I'd check with. If you need contact info. for any of these, just pm me.

Chad
Old 07-30-2008, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, I have dealt with Sipsey River in the past and wouldn't be afraid to buy a used bow from them. Like Arthur said, although your plans right now is to getting something you can hang on to and shoot for a long time to come sure might change. I'd still say to get something in the 45 pound at your draw range. You may loose and inch or so of draw though as compared to your compound. You may want to take that into consideration. Most bows are measured at a 28" draw. If that is the case I'd stick in the 45-50# range at 28". Other then that, I would not be afraid to pick something older up. There are a lot of older Bears out there that can still shoot. A lefty may cost a little more though. We paid probably an extra $50 for the lefty Bear Hunter that my son currently shoots.
If you want to go the custom route, I would consider the Falcon (like Art mentioned), or the King's Pawn, both by chek-mate, and both FF ready. I personally own a King's Pawn and I'm very please with it.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the input so far guys, I am sure there will be many more questions to come.

I looked at the Chekmate bows, and liked the looks of them. Just as cheap as a new Bear also. Any idea what their delivery schedule is like? This will probably go down as a Christmas present, as long as I am nice and not naughty.

Then we need arrows, and either a glove or tab. Ultimately it will be for hunting, probably in cold weather, so what do you guys use for that as far as gloves/tabs? What is the preferance and why?

Armguard? Sign of DL too long on a compound, but for a 'curve? Do I need one?

What other accoutrements do I need?

Just trying to get a feel for what a complete setup would be.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

LBR is the Chek-Mate person to talk to. I doubt if you go custom that it would be there by Christmas though. Maybe he has one in stock. Yes, you willneed an armguard.Some people go all out on it, some people go basic ( Ihave one from custom king that Imostly use, very inexpensive). You should probably get a tab and a glove. I'd offer you to borrow a few of mine, but you are a lefty. The glove might be OK,depending on your hand size (I use a large).PM me if you need to borrow a few, I have many. I'd recommend going with aluminum arrows at first. The size will depend onthe bow that you get, the draw length you settle in on, and your type of release. The chart at arrows by Kelly can get you close,but it may not be exact.

If you go custom, you may also need to knowif you plan on using split or three fingers under. I have only shot split in my life and don't want to change. But I also have nothing to compare it to. Others maybe more helpful on that.

Just wanted to show you a pic of my chek-mate Kings Pawn:

Old 07-31-2008, 08:26 AM

Looks like the Deluxe, Nice looking bow. I was looking last night at some of the options, I will probably stay with the standard model with standard woods, I am kind of a form follows function kind of guy. Maybe Bubinga with Shedua limbs. I like dark colors, but that might be too much. I also think Elm limbs with flat cut on the belly would look nice too.

Kings Pawn is longer than the Falcon, other than that they look pretty similiar. What is the real difference to the shooter?

I had already been thinking about the split finger vs 3 under, but that is another thread, I will start that one here in a little while. I think tab is probably what I will try first, but you could also use a glove with some of those mittens that the front flips open? Maybe?
Old 07-31-2008, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe the Falcon is a little faster than the Kings Pawn, with a higher performance limb design. The Kings Pawn is longer, a bit more stable and doesn't have finger pinch issues for someone like me, with a draw length in excess of 30". If my draw length was under 30", I'd have gotten the Falcon instead of the KP.

I got the bubinga riser on my KP Special (IMO, if you're going to have it made, at least go with the Special and get the overlays. Nice touch, and doesn't cost very much extra) and if I had it to do over, I'd get the shedua riser instead. Shedua has a lot more figure to the wood and makes for a nicer looking bow overall, I think. Shedua riser and red elm limbs under clear glass on a Falcon Special would be my suggestion.

Whether you need an armguard or not is really determined by your shooting form. I can get away with not using an armguard with a recurve with aluminum arrows. On the other hand, I always wear an armguard when shooting wood or carbon arrows. It's at least a bit of protection in case an arrow breaks on the shot.

I've used both a glove and tab while wearing glommitts and never had any problem with either. It's a bit of a challenge to get the mitt on over a glove though. Personal preference.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey, you do know that there is a bow made by Great Northern named Critter Gitter:

CLICK_HERE