Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow rest & stabilizer recommendations >

Arrow rest & stabilizer recommendations

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow rest & stabilizer recommendations

Old 02-06-2004, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Arrow rest & stabilizer recommendations

I'm about to purchase a new bow and leaning toward the Bowtech Patriot single. I see a lot of guys using the fall away rests but I'm not convinced that they are all that. It just seems like another mechanical device that can fail to me, maybe I'm wrong. I understand the reason and concept behind them but I'm still not convinced they are the BEST for a hunting only bow. Give me your opinions. I'm kinda leaning towards a BoDoodle rest. I'd like to have some sort of rest that will keep the arrow from falling off when stalking or if the bow gets bumped. I currently shoot ACC 3-60's with 4" feathers.

Also, it's been several years since I have bought a stabilizer. I'm wanting something kinda compact and not too heavy. I am wanting it for dampning reasons rather than weight/balance.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Arrow rest & stabilizer recommendations

I use the GKF TKO as a drop away... it can be setup as a conventional rest also by swapping springs. I've never used the bodoodle rests. But I hear alot of people rave about them... so I'm sure they're good also. It's all about shooting what's comfortable to you.

As far as stabilizers... the GKF Tranquilizer is very light and all about absorbing vibes.. I am using a Vibracheck Icon and it works very well also.. and doesn't weight much. Alot of people like the Stealth, CAP Lore, Sims, and doinkers... Just get to a shop and try out as many as you can.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ken's suggestions are right on the money. There are a few new drop away rests now on the market that can be used not only as a drop away design but also as a conventional rest as well. That might be right up your alley considering your concerns. I believe one of the Schaeffer rests is convertible in this fashion as well as possibly one of the APA models.

Ditto on the GKF Tranquilizer as well. It is a nice lightweight compliment to the new light weight riser found on the Bowtech models. I have also been playing around with a NAP Shockblocker 500 and an Xring Silicone on both the Liberty and MM VFT...both with favorable results.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:12 PM

The drop zone is a superb rest by Trophy RIdge. Super quiet, no clearance issues, easy to set up and tune.

Will also be getting a stealth 6" hunter stabilizer in the near future. Everyone who uses them seems to think very highly of them.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second the Trophy Ridge Drop Zone. Have one on my Ex. VFT and love it. Very reliable. As for wanting a stabilizer for dampening reasons, you can't go wrong with the Sims modular stabilizer.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

A drop away rest is nothing more than a conventional rest with the spring reversed. The stand failure no more than a conventional rest. Drop aways have done wonders for me. I like the fact that I can use a big helical on my arrows and get complete clearence, which is something that can be a bit difficult to do with a conventional fixed position rest.

I've tried a ton of drop aways and none have ever failed me. There was just something about some of them I didn't like.

For a pure hunting drop away, you can not go wrong with an MZE. IMO its the best there is. I am shooting a Trophy Taker right now and the more I use it, the more I like it. Simple, solid and very accurate.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:15 PM

you will hear lots of answers & all I can say is try several at your local shop to make up your mind.

I can point you in the direction of a couple of products I use & have a lot of faith in. They are the following.

1. Trophy Ridge Dropzone - Really great fall away rest
2. Trophy Taker Fall Away Rests - Another great product.
3. Trophy Ridge Exchanger Hunter Stabilizer - great light weight product
4. Sims Enhancer Stbilizer - another very good product.

I myself am a big fan of Trophy Ridges products. I am fortunate enough to serve on their prostaff & would be glad to answer any questions you may have with any of their products.

By the way the BoDoodle is a fine rest that has been proven by thousands of bowhunters. If you feel a drop away is not right for you it's a great choice!

Good Luck!
Old 02-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mike for a arrow rest consider the new whisker bisquit for hunting,but I have had a trophy taker on my bow for 3 yrs now and no problem's at all.

As for the Stabilizer try the the short vibrocheck ,I hear lots about the stealth stabilizer but I have no experience with them but I hear they're the best.

nubo
Old 02-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Spike

I think Ken is right. If you want to try a drop away the TKO would be your best choice. Where you are concerned with how well you would like one this one will let you go back to a conventional type rest with out haveing to buy another rest. Also the Tranquilizer is a great choice of stabilizer. You can get the 400 which is just under 6" and light weight. Will absorb vibration and noise.