Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Helical or not with expandables ?? >

Helical or not with expandables ??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Helical or not with expandables ??

Old 02-04-2004, 07:46 PM

Default Helical or not with expandables ??

Just ordered some Axis 340 shafts . Ordered some Bohning 4" vanes to fletch them with.........and will be shooting 125 grain heads with them !

I'm undecided on fletching these with a helical or just an offset fletch .........I have both clamps . What do ya'll think ??

I'll be shooting expandables .....and using a Wisker biscuit !
Old 02-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Helical or not with expandables ??

I don't think you'll be able to get much more than a bit of offset on them. That's the way it was back when I used to shoot the pultruded Bemans back in the day.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:58 PM

I would go helical. I shot straight fletch with 75grain Muzzys this year. They flew good, but I wouldn't shoot straight again. So you wont have a problem with helical.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Offset with the biscuit. If I shoot my helicals too often through the biscuit it creates little rips on the outside edge. When I shoot the straights its no-problemo, they just get wavy after a while.
Therefore I think the offset would be the best compromise and will provide plenty adequate accuracy since your shooting mechanicals.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like helical for all my fletching. I use as much as practical on my shafts of choice. The key factor is fletching clearance.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would probably opt for the offset. You get some stabilization without having to worry about any excessive problems with the biscuit and/or shaft diameter.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:11 AM

Thanks guys !! I was leaning toward the offset........it's what I have been using with the biscuit currently! I don't mind refletching......so messed up vanes wouldn't bother me. I mainly wanted to see if anyone had a strong opinion about any accuracy differences ???

I mainly deer hunt and try to keep my shots under 40 yrds ! But I will probably mule deer hunt again in Sept. .......and shots can range as far as you can shoot ........50-60 yrds are more normal than uncommon !
Old 02-05-2004, 06:54 AM

I like helical - for mechanicals I am playing with the 3" 3-D duravanes with helical & so far really like the results.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:53 PM

CBM SC: I'm shooting Beman 340 shafts with 125grain Magnus heads and a whisker biscuit. I use 3" feathers in a straight fletch and the fixed heads are hitting inside an inch at 20-25yards. Use the correct spine arrows for the bow. Adjust the rest so that the arrows hit the same verticle line. The whisker biscuit launches a very stabile arrow and you don't need to correct flight much on an arrow thats already going straight. Good luck hunting!
Old 02-08-2004, 11:32 AM

Orions_Bow i agree i have the 3" dura vanes in a helical and are very impressed with them so far. i had off set and just got my new bemans and they have a 3" duravane helical and shoot WAY BETTER than my other arrows