Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Is a peep site really needed? >

Is a peep site really needed?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is a peep site really needed?

Old 02-08-2002, 09:02 AM

Default Is a peep site really needed?

Please provide me with the pro's and con's about using and not using peep sites.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2002, 09:39 AM

Default RE: Is a peep site really needed?

Neither myself or any of my serious hunting buddies use a peep sight for hunting. If you hunt a lot, sooner or later, a peep is going to cause some problems in low light. At the very least, it obscures a portion of the animal which will cause some uncertainty in some situations.

If you anchor in the same spot each time, you do not need one. I use a no-peep to help me with my anchor. There are other advantages to not using a peep, like increased arrow speed by eliminating the weight on the string. A peep is another gadget that can fail, or move unexpectantly. I like making things as simple as I can. Let me assure you, that you can shoot very accurately without a peep if you practice enough.

Edited by - Straightarrow on 02/08/2002 12:50:42
Old 02-08-2002, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, its not needed. It acts as an anchoring aid to help ensure you anchor at the same spot each time. I use them just becouse I dont feel very comfortable with out one. As straightarrow said, they will become a problem sooner or later, with low light being the biggest for me.

If you do want to use a peep, and are concerned about low light problems, try a C-peep, Ive been using one for about a year now and really like it, In my opinion, its the best out there for low light. And, I just discovered that if you use a string loop, you can ditch the rubber tubing also.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are a lot of good alternatives to a peep sight out there that have none of the potential drawbacks (improper rotation/alignment, can't see through in low light, some use rubber tubing that can break, loss of fps due to their weight on string, can move on string if not properly secured, most don't show if your torquing the bow, etc, etc, etc...). But even these alternatives are not absolutely necessary.

If one practiced to develope a repeatable anchor point with at least two to three references (V of release hand on lower jaw bone, nose contacting string, fletch in corner of the lip, etc) no peep type aid would be necessary. As stated above, they only serve to help establish a common anchor point... Best advise I can think of is to try different things and go with what gives you the most confidence...
Old 02-08-2002, 12:26 PM

The answer is you don't need one.

They are the single thing most likely to increase your accuracy. But if you already have all the accuracy you require for the kind of shooting you do then forget about it. If you use a small peep, you can learn to shoot without it, so that if you get that close-in dusky shot, you can just use it as a reference point without looking through it. That way if you have a problem, you aren't just caught like a deer in the headlights.

I used to tie a very bright flurescent green thread around my string in the peep position. That way I had a consistant point on the string, like a peep, but without the hassles. However since the intro of super strings like the Zebra, and WC, I just use regular peeps, and haven't had any problems. Don't relly on strings or hose, if you use those systems, be sure to practice some shots with the hose detached, so that you have a back-up. If you do use rubber etc... it would be great to learn how to position your peep for zero rotation anyway. Firstly because it reduces the stress on the system, I have seen those things used to bring a peep around almost a full turn, and that will eventualy break rubber. And secondly, if the hose does break, you should still be able to look through the peep.

The advantage in the field to having a hose when you have a tunned peep already is that if you are forced to replace a string, or if the string just goes out of tune unexpectedly, you don't have to tune the peep, which can be time consuming or impossible in the field.