Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

peep site?

Old 02-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default peep site?

im new to the whole archery thing....i havent shot a REAL bow...dad was hard core into archery when i was young...i used to shoot a wanna be compound with him...he said i was pretty dang deadly with that bow..i been wanting to get into bow hunting forever...and finally am this spring.....i was looking at bows at dicks sporting goods the other day..and drew back a set up reflex grizzly...it had a peep site with a tube on it...im used to peeps on rifles...being small and lining the front site in the center of the small apature...the one on the bow i really dont know what its for..it was large and close to my eye so i really was just looking through a hole....are they really needed?? what do they do?? just keep you lined up looking at your pins right?? couldnt you just put a kisser button on your string at the corner of your mouth or have your release touch a certain spot every time?? just wondering...ill be buying and having a bow set up here within a few months.....and trying to figure out what i want and what will work best...and what everything is for...thanx guys..
Old 02-20-2006, 03:33 PM

Default RE: peep site?

A peep on your bow works basically the same way as on your rifle. It acts as a rear sight helping you achieve a consistent anchor, which is key in archery. When you have the bow set up for you, the peep may need to be slid up or down the string so you can see the sight pins in it. What you'll do is have the bow set for your draw length, and if you have a kisser button installed, draw the bow and have the string on the tip of your nose and the kisser in the corner of your mouth. From there, you will look through the peep and have the tech move it until you can comfortably see the sight pins. Some people like the peeps with tubes, but I don't. The tube slows the arrow down quite a bit and the dang thing always breaks at full draw and smacks me in the forehead.

Hope that answered your question.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:34 PM

You got it exactly right. The key is anchoring in the same place everytime. Some prefer peeps while other do not use them.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks guys.....sounds like yet another personal type thing....i guess thats archery shooting....everyone has diffrent things that work for them....guess ill play with some stuff and see what i like and what i dont like and how i shot best when i start shooting....i watched dad robin hood an arrow back in the day with the old big clunkers you guys had back 10-15-20yrs ago....big old alumanum arrows....fingers...brass sights painted with nail polish...shooting off the shelf or a little tiny wire bent paper clip looking rest lol.......he robin hooded arrows twice that i remember.....if he could do that back in the day with the stuff they had back then im sure it cant be that hard to learn the ropes! lol...and i think i got me a very knowledgable dad at home...though he doesnt know anything about todays stuff.....i told him about the ATA legnths and speed of bows im looking at and you should see his face....hes actually thinking of starting again...WITH A RECURVE orLONG bow...