Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 carbon revolution >

carbon revolution

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

carbon revolution

Old 12-20-2003, 03:22 PM

Default carbon revolution

Does anyone have any hunting experience with these arrows? I've read that they are significantly lighter and stronger and will penetrate better. This latter point seems counter intuitive. I'm presently shooting 27" gold tips with 100 gran heads at 278 fps. If I were to make a change, I'd still want to be able to shoot 100g heads. Are the benefits worth the price in a hunting set up? What are the downsides other than costs? I'm presently shooting snyper mechanicals so I don't anticipate any planing problems. Please advise.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:43 AM

Default RE: carbon revolution

I used they this year for elk
I started out using golodtip XT5575
had it sited in for 30/45/& 60yards. then I ordered a doz. of the speed pro's
I used the 100g shockwaves. they shot the same as the goldtips upto 45yards
then at 60yard they were 12.5" higher then the goldtips & with the sames groups throughout all yardages. I seen the advantages of this in guessing yardages. I have shot some deer with them no problem with the arrow breaking
all were passthurs the $ is up but I feel it is a small price to pay for misguessing the yardage & having a bad hit.
Greg
Old 12-21-2003, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Going by c4's post, if you regularly shoot at animals beyond 45 yards then they might be worth the extra $. Or was his 12" difference at 60 yards due to a minor tuning discrepancy?

Even a nock that fits a bit different on the string can make a major difference in point of impact at 60 yards that might not show up at closer distances. A tight nock sucks, especially one with a double snap, and GoldTip nocks suck real bad because they're tight AND double snap. Put different nocks in the GoldTips and I doubt you'd see any difference in point of impact between them and carbon revolutions at 60 yards.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:24 AM

I did install the same nock as the speed pro on the goldtips
the differants in drop is do to the overall weight of the arrow( imo)
bow was sited in for 60 yards so I could practice at those distances so i would become more accurate at the closer yardages
but they will work very good at 3d shoots over 45 yards this next year!
Greg
Old 12-21-2003, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gold Tip 5575's are 8.2 grains per inch. Carbon Revolutions are listed as 6.9 or 7.9 grains per inch. A 30" 5575 shaft is 246 grains. A 30" CR at 6.9 per inch is 207. At 7.9 gr per inch, it would be 237. Sorry, but I don't see enough weight difference to make a 12" difference in point of impact at 60 yards.

But whatever... that's beside the point of the question.

Are the benefits worth the price in a hunting set up?
Unless you regularly take 60 yard shots when hunting, the answer is NO. But I'd still swap out the nocks on the Gold Tips for something better. Easton Uni-bushings in particular.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:23 PM

elkaddict
are talking about the arrows that are 5.5g per " ?
Old 12-22-2003, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are hunting elk I wouldn't do it. You are already pushing the minimums as far as kinetic energy, especially with a mechanical head. For smaller big game I would go ahead and say do it, but not with elk. Mechanicals eat up alot of energy expanding. They are expanding at the worse possible point. It already takes alot of energy to break through the skin with a normal point. If you are using mechanicals to stop the planing process, you might want to try a more traditional two blade cut on inpact design. I have had good success getting them to shoot at your speeds with no planing through a well tuned bow..Hope this helps
Old 12-23-2003, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

c4, I guess it might be possible we're talking about 2 different arrows. I got those specs off High Country's site and didn't see anything lighter. But if you really are talking 5.5 grains per inch, then they're too light to even consider as a hunting arrow, IMO.