Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Best Fixed Blade Broadheads >

Best Fixed Blade Broadheads

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Best Fixed Blade Broadheads

Old 08-14-2014, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Kathwacckkk
I had my choice nailed down between SlickTrick standard 100 grain and Muzzy 4 blade 100 grain, when I made the switch from mechanicals a couple years ago. At the time, I went with the Muzzy's as they offered the practice blades in the pack and I could get 6 for the same price as 3 SlickTricks. It was nice to set all the broadheads up, shoot each arrow with the practice blades and then just switch out to hunting blades and new Trocar tips. I liked using the actual head with practice blades rather then field points.

I do not think you can make a bad choice with the ones mentnioed. Good luck and post stories and pictures of your success!
I used to use Muzzy 4 bladers but had a bad experience with them. I hit a buck perfectly 2" behind the leg crease waited 45 mins and started tracking it only to jump it after about 150 yards. I stopped and came back the next morning and found him. The arrow hit right where I aimed but hit a rib and made an almost 90 degree turn coming out in front of the opposite hip. I expected a double lung shot but ended up hitting only one lung and liver. It may have been just a fluke but I switched to 3 bladers as I believed that design would eliminate that from happening again.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:18 PM
byg
Spike

I have had good luck with Thunderheads, never had a deer go more than 50yds
Old 08-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by byg
I have had good luck with Thunderheads, never had a deer go more than 50yds
Wow that is a strong statement! I've heard it said several times that Thunderhead BHs weren't too bad. I shot many many deer with all kinds of BHs. And I've had several drop or lie down and expire within sight. The shortest distance one went was about 60 yards and that was with a perfect double lung, top of the heart shot at a relaxed buck with a razor sharp Magnus Stinger. Heck, last year using a Rage I center punched the heart of a doe at 10 yards almost shearing it in half and she went about 75 yards. So either your range estimation is way off, you haven't shot too many deer with the bow or you've been extremely lucky.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:42 PM
byg
Spike

Well you are right . I have only got 2 deer, 1st was a misplaced shot due to excitement and rookie nerves, I believe it was a kidney shot it only went about 50/60 yards( I was worried about that one).2nd was a perfect dbl lung and he went about the same. Granted, I have not killed a hundred deer,but only telling my experience.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

http://youtu.be/Lf6G6fK_M7g check these out
Old 08-29-2014, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dorobuta
I really like the G5 Strykers, in 125 for elk.
Worked for me
Old 08-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by byg
Well you are right . I have only got 2 deer, 1st was a misplaced shot due to excitement and rookie nerves, I believe it was a kidney shot it only went about 50/60 yards( I was worried about that one).2nd was a perfect dbl lung and he went about the same. Granted, I have not killed a hundred deer,but only telling my experience.
Well it takes a good man to ''fess up". Even though 2 deer does not provide sufficient data to qualify any broadhead. In my experience over 45+ years bowhunting I've noted that if you shoot a deer that is calm with a razor sharp head and do not hit bone and did not detect you after the shot they will only run a short distance and stop and either lie down and expire to begin to wobble and then fall. I've had a few deer get shot through both lungs with either a Magnus Stinger or Muzzy Phantom and only take three or four bounds then just stop and look around, walk about another 30 -40 yards and just teeter and fall over. I swear, I think that the BH goes through them so fast they think they got stung by a bee or something.