Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Question on fletching tape........ >

Question on fletching tape........

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question on fletching tape........

Old 09-19-2003, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Question on fletching tape........

I' ve been using fletching tape for a while now, and have no complaints about it personally, however, some of the people that I make arrows for are having a little trouble with it and now want them refletched with glue. I' ve been using the tape though on my personal arrows with absolutely no problems. I wonder what they are doing to their fletching and arrows, but of course, I can' t get a clear answer from them. Two questions though:

1. Has anyone else had any trouble with tape?

2. What are you guys using to remove the residue that the tape leaves on th arrow when you refletch the arrow. I have tried nail poish remover (don' t worry, it belongs to my wife ), and 91% alcohol, but am still having a little trouble. A knife also isn' t very effective.

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question on fletching tape........

I use straight acetone to get the residue off. In a pinch, WD-40 strips it off real good but I' d only do that with aluminum arrows. You' d never get a carbon clean after squirting that gunk on it.

There was a post on a trad site that says the tape has a finite shelf life. A year or so, maybe, but that' s just an off the wall guess on my part. Could be your friends got ahold of some old stuff?
Old 09-19-2003, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Art, I' ll get a hold of my chemical distributing buddy to get me some straight acetone.

Nahh, I made the arrows for my buddies with the same roll of tape that I used for myself. I finally got one of them to confess that they shot the arrow through a target and pulled it out the other side (vanes, and only one arrow), so that explains that one. The glue that I put on both ends is still holding the vane on. But the other friend that ruined all of his arrows still won' t confess. But I bet he did something similar. I shot so many arrows with the tape already this summer and never had one of them go bad, so I am having a hard time believing that the arrows that they ruined are being shot normally.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ahhh! Plastic vanes! There' s the problem. The tape is not recommended for vanes. Feathers only.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, I have seen from their advertisments that they are recommended for feathers, but, I' ll tell ya, I' ve been using it on feathers and vanes and have been very happy. I wipe the back of the vanes and shafts with some 91% alcohol, but on either straight or offset, put a dap of glue on each end, and off they go. No problems for me.

I can see how pulling them through the target though with vanes could ruin them as opposed to feathers.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:11 PM

I used the tape on some feathers and it worked so well I decided to try it on vanes[:-]. Fletched real nice and quick. Then I started to shoot them and all of a sudden the arrows were making a noise like feathers[]. After close inspection, the vanes were coming off one by one[:' (]. Cleaned the vanes with acetone and used a drop of glue front and back. These were mossyoak alums. which were very slick. One good thing the vanes that hung on were easy to remove. Don