Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Fletching tape

Old 03-09-2003, 08:41 PM

Default Fletching tape

IS anyone using tape? If so is anyone having trouble with their feathers coming off in cold weather? I' m not sure if it' s the cap or my application technique. Dick
Old 03-09-2003, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fletching tape

I use it occassionally but have never had fletchings come off.Before I take the backing strip off,I' ll run my finger along the base of the quill(while in the clamp) to make sure I have contact the whole length of the feather.After I fletch,then I' ll run my finger over the feather with pressure to make sure I have good contact on the shaft.Then I' ll put a drop of super glue on each end of the fletch.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:15 PM
Fork Horn

I pretty well use Bohning Fletch-tape exclusively. It' s great stuff. I can do a whole shaft or two in the time it' d take to do one feather with fletch-tite. I' ve never had problems with the tape not sticking unless I had something on my hands that didn' t let the adhesive stick, or I got glue chunks on it. I put the feather in the clamp, then lie it down and measure out some tape. Snip the tape so there' ll be a bit of excess and apply it starting at the front of the feather. I guess it doesn' t matter which end you start at, but that' s how I do it. I run it along the quill keeping it as straight as possible with as little bubbles as possible. After I have it stuck to the quill I make sure there are no bubles and it' s on good by rubbin it down. Then I peel the backing away and put the clamp on the jig and push it down onto the arrow shaft. Give it a good push to make sure it adhered to the shaft. Open the clamp and remove it from the feather, rotate the jig and prep another feather. It' s super easy and a lot faster than glue. You can also put drops of glue at the fronts and ends of the quills if you' d like to add strength or whatever. I hardly ever do, usually because I forget to, and I' ve never suffered ill effects when I' ve done a good " tape-up." The stuff is pretty cheap too. I think it' s $6 for like 300 yrds of it. I' m still on my first roll since I started usin the stuff and I' ve fletched and re-fletched 2 1/2 dozen arrows. I' ve gone through over 150-200 feathers with it. I wonder how many tubes of glue it' d take to get that many feathers. I' ve always use it with wood, and haven' t tried it on aluminum or carbon, but I reckon it' d work just as well. Sorry it' s so long-winded, but I love the stuff so much I don' t see why everyone doesn' t use it.

Brandan
Old 03-10-2003, 07:04 AM

I used it and I was shooting this weekend. The weather was in the twenties. I had three feathers come off. I like it, but need to check my methods if others aren' t having problems.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve never had Bohning fletching tape pull loose from any finish, any kind of arrow (including carbon), in any kind of weather, temps from 10 degrees up to 115 degrees, rain or shine. I clean the shafts with denatured alcohol and let them dry a couple of hours before I fletch up.

I also do the same things Irish does to ensure I' ve got a good bond.

Come to think of it, when I first started using the stuff I did have some problems. The feathers didn' t come off but they would start leaning over. Found out the bond strengthens over time, so I wait at least overnight before shooting freshly taped arrows.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:35 PM

Yep, I use it and have never had a problem. You can add a dab of glue at the front but I don' t do that anymore.

Regards,
Bill
Old 03-10-2003, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

No problems here with fletching on my cedar and the wife' s aluminum. Temps range from 20-90 and from what I can tell, wet weather has no effect on the tape' s adhesion.