Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
clarifier   verifier  which one??????? >

clarifier verifier which one???????

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

clarifier verifier which one???????

Old 08-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well now I have add something or ask something. You guys decide which........

I have been wearing glasses for years, but the pair I have now have no coatings so I get some big bad reflections. Therefore I can't shoot with them---my vision is about 20/50. I am also one of those old guys who need bifocals.

The last couple years the pins got blurry. Bright fiber optics are even worse, giving a starlight effect. I partially solved that by wrapping electrical tape around the housing of my HHA OL-5000. Still I needed a Verifier so I got a #6 (before they made the #5). It's working fairly well, but I have other problems, too. Need a .019 pin, but that's another issue.

To see better I borrowed a Lens Kit B and 6X lens for the sight. Practiced with it for a day or two and Monday evening shot the best score I've shot in several years mainly because I could finally see what I was aiming at.

Now, this I find interesting because, with a 6X lens, I was also using a 3/16" Superpeep with no lens at all. No Verifier and no Clarifier. The pin was somewhat blurry, but the target was so crisp and clear that I think I was concentrating more on the target (as it should be) so the pin was no the point of my attention.

I'm interested in trying the Verifier with the scope lens just for comparison purposes, but that will be a little later. As a long time tinkerer I'm trying other things.

So what say you guys. Anybody have similar experiences? Am I normal?

Oh, and please don't patronize me. I've been at this game of compound bows for 37 years now so I'm not a newbie by any means.

TFox, just to give you the facts, the Verifier is not for people who need glasses. It's for us old farts that need bifocals or reading glasses. It's called Presbyopia. You're too young to know everything about that.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Well now I have add something or ask something. You guys decide which........

I have been wearing glasses for years, but the pair I have now have no coatings so I get some big bad reflections. Therefore I can't shoot with them---my vision is about 20/50. I am also one of those old guys who need bifocals.

The last couple years the pins got blurry. Bright fiber optics are even worse, giving a starlight effect. I partially solved that by wrapping electrical tape around the housing of my HHA OL-5000. Still I needed a Verifier so I got a #6 (before they made the #5). It's working fairly well, but I have other problems, too. Need a .019 pin, but that's another issue.

To see better I borrowed a Lens Kit B and 6X lens for the sight. Practiced with it for a day or two and Monday evening shot the best score I've shot in several years mainly because I could finally see what I was aiming at.

Now, this I find interesting because, with a 6X lens, I was also using a 3/16" Superpeep with no lens at all. No Verifier and no Clarifier. The pin was somewhat blurry, but the target was so crisp and clear that I think I was concentrating more on the target (as it should be) so the pin was no the point of my attention.

I'm interested in trying the Verifier with the scope lens just for comparison purposes, but that will be a little later. As a long time tinkerer I'm trying other things.

So what say you guys. Anybody have similar experiences? Am I normal?

Oh, and please don't patronize me. I've been at this game of compound bows for 37 years now so I'm not a newbie by any means.

TFox, just to give you the facts, the Verifier is not for people who need glasses. It's for us old farts that need bifocals or reading glasses. It's called Presbyopia. You're too young to know everything about that.
And that's why I stated it the way I did. Because I have no personal experience with them.

From what I understand,some that wear eye glasses need a verifier.
Thanks for the clarification,no pun intended.

I have only used a Clarifier once and couldn't stand how blurred the pin got.Having 20/15 vision allowed me to remove my lens.I am able to see what I want to hit much better this way.

I have reached that 40 year old mark and still don't need glasses but I may in a couple years.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

BG: the verified WILL help some people with glasses under the right conditions. I only know this bc I know 2 people who use them to help clear up their pins etc.

Not saying your not right, just saying everyones eyes are different and certain things work for different people...

I use a #1 yellow clarifier. I use it with my 4x scope outdoors and it clears the target up beautifully. Subsequently it makes the pin disappear slightly, so in certain lights I have to use a light...

Now, with my 8x lens the target is slightly blurry, but at 20yds it's fine for 5spot(still working on a better Vegas optical setup) and my pin us plenty bright!

It's odd how the differences in mag and eyesight create different illusions etc.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by drockw
BG: the verified WILL help some people with glasses under the right conditions. I only know this bc I know 2 people who use them to help clear up their pins etc.

Not saying your not right, just saying everyones eyes are different and certain things work for different people...

I use a #1 yellow clarifier. I use it with my 4x scope outdoors and it clears the target up beautifully. Subsequently it makes the pin disappear slightly, so in certain lights I have to use a light...

Now, with my 8x lens the target is slightly blurry, but at 20yds it's fine for 5spot(still working on a better Vegas optical setup) and my pin us plenty bright!

It's odd how the differences in mag and eyesight create different illusions etc.
I completely agree with you that everybodys' eyes can be different. That's why there are just no cut and dried answers to these questions. That's why I always recommend that a person go to a shop that has all these lenses and try them out to see what does what for his own situation.

I found out about 30 years ago that a Clarifier can help clear up the target, but yes, the dot in my scope disappeared. Of course this was way back before things got as technical as they are today. I haven't used a modern day Clarifier so can't compare to my old one (I still have it). Back then, just as now, mcuh can be accomplished just by trying different size apertures. I used to use a 1/32" and that is tiny. Not much light gets through it.

TFox, I didn't realize you were getting up there in years, LOL. Glad to hear you still have good eyes. Mine suck and are slowly getting worse. I'm 63 now. I'm in the planning stages of getting new glasses and am looking at what options I can come up with to allow me to shoot with them on. Maybe I could hit something if I could see it. I can't use my present ones and it sucks.

In no way was I implying that Verifiers can't be used with glasses. Just pointing out that the main purpose for them is for those whose eyes won't focus close any more.