Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Enough KE for Spitfires? >

Enough KE for Spitfires?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Enough KE for Spitfires?

Old 05-19-2003, 10:18 AM

Default Enough KE for Spitfires?

This weekend I hauled out the 02 Hoyt Magna Tec and decided to sight in the 35 yd pin. I never bothered before. Kept 25yd as the limit, but since the Bow is new, I wanted to see if I could hit the vitals of my whitetail decoy adding the extra 10yds. I only shot 1 doz at that range, but 11 out of the 12 hit home. Much more practice is needed, but it is only May.

Last year I switched from fixed blades to the Spitfires. Unfortunately, I never got a deer within 25yds so there effectiveness couldnt be tested 1st hand. Now that I' m confident that with more practice, 35yds will be a doable shot, I need to know if my Bow will produce enough energy to be effective at that range.

My current set up is as follows: 2002 Hoyt Magna Tec XT2000, set at 60Lb draw (max) weight, 28 1/2 draw length, Easton XX75 2213 28 In Aluminum Arrows. The Spitfires are 100gr.

Lets save the Fixed vs Mechanical debate for other posts please. I wont switch back to Fixed until I at least get a chance to try the Spitfires. Im extremely accurates with them on the range. But, if my Bow isnt producing enough energy to open them for good penetration at that range, I just wont use the 35 yd pin.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-19-2003, 03:39 PM

Default RE: Enough KE for Spitfires?

35 yards is pushing it.

I am guessing your speed is about 235 to 240 fps. You arrow probably weighs about 440 grains. The speed and weigh are both just estimations. Making these assumptions....your KE at the bow is 54 ft-lbs. At 35 yards your KE is 46 ft-lbs. I think this is marginal at best. In my personal opinion (remember opinions are like butt holes....we all got' em) 20 yards is the maximum distance I would shoot a mechanical from your bow.

You could probably get a mechanical truth the ribs with no problem but at 35 yards it would much easier to hit the shoulder. I don' t think a mechanical would make it through the shoulder.

Hope this helps you make a decision.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with buckskin, your right on the edge. I think there are a few other mechanicals that would serve you better and match up better with your setup. That said, put the spitfire in the chest and I am confident you will get your deer. I would not shoot past 35 yards though, and 25 is better yet.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:34 AM

I think there are a few other mechanicals that would serve you better and match up better with your setup.
What 3 bladed Mechanical would you recommend?
Old 05-20-2003, 08:56 AM

I don' t know about a 3 blade that would work but the Snyper by Rocky is excellent. It has a cam action opening mechanism and is two blade. It should offer better penetration.

I am sure their are others that are much more knowledgable about broadheads. These are just observations that I have made personally.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:55 PM

I think that if you want to try mechanichals that you should try the rocket steelheads. These penetrate like a fixed blade, and you do not have to worry as much about kinetic energy. I feel that you are at an estimated 45-46 lbs of kinetic energy, which is not enough to make a humane kill shooting expandables. With the steelheads, you don' t have to worry as much about kinetic energy, and these are flat out awesome broadheads. I would give rocket steelheads a try. If you want to increase your kinetic energy, you could shoot a lighter arrow, or turn up your poundage. I also have a Hoyt Magnatec with the command cams. I set mine at 62 lbs and shoot a Carbon Express CX 200 arrow. These arrows cook out of my bow at 270-275 fps. I had my KE tested, and I am at 57 lbs of kinetic energy. I would either try Rocket Steelheads, or switch to a lighter carbon arrow like the pse carbon force or the carbon express cx 200 or 300
good luck
Buckkilla
Old 05-21-2003, 01:01 AM
Typical Buck

buckkilla....changing to a lighter arrow will improve the speed but will not help the KE at all. The only two variables in the KE equation are mass and speed. If you decrease one to get the other you have a NET 0 change in KE.

KE = 1/2 x Arrow Weight(grains) x speed^2 x 451080

There were some very detailed and heated discussions about this exact issue over at eders last year. Without getting onto a deep discussion and talking bow efficency, which is a minimal change anyway, the KE a bow will generate is essentially the area under the draw force curve and is independent of the arrow weight. The only way to add to this area, thus increasing KE, is to increase draw weight or increase the draw length.

That being said, Duckmastor2 I think that you are really on the fringe edge of the KE required for most mech heads at 35 yards. Keep it to 25 and under and you should be OK.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

In a three blade head the Steelheads are an excellent choice. I also like the Rocky Snypers, I know they are only a two blade, but the cut on contact tip really opens up the wound channel. If you want to stick to a new archery product head the shockwaves and the new scorpion should be great. I have not tested the Scorpion, but it appears to be a shockwave with a cut on contact tip, so it should work great. The shockwaves open faster and penetrate better than the spitfires.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:48 AM

Thank You all for your advice. The 2003 Cabelas Archery Catalog is on its way and I' ll check out the Broadheads you all suggested. I recently bought a house and with all the fixing and furnishing I' ve been doing, I' ve got plenty of Cabelas Club Points to use!

Season cant get here quick enough!