HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Enough KE for Spitfires?
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2003, 10:18 AM
Duckmastor2

Default Enough KE for Spitfires?

This weekend I hauled out the 02 Hoyt Magna Tec and decided to sight in the 35 yd pin. I never bothered before. Kept 25yd as the limit, but since the Bow is new, I wanted to see if I could hit the vitals of my whitetail decoy adding the extra 10yds. I only shot 1 doz at that range, but 11 out of the 12 hit home. Much more practice is needed, but it is only May.

Last year I switched from fixed blades to the Spitfires. Unfortunately, I never got a deer within 25yds so there effectiveness couldnt be tested 1st hand. Now that I' m confident that with more practice, 35yds will be a doable shot, I need to know if my Bow will produce enough energy to be effective at that range.

My current set up is as follows: 2002 Hoyt Magna Tec XT2000, set at 60Lb draw (max) weight, 28 1/2 draw length, Easton XX75 2213 28 In Aluminum Arrows. The Spitfires are 100gr.

Lets save the Fixed vs Mechanical debate for other posts please. I wont switch back to Fixed until I at least get a chance to try the Spitfires. Im extremely accurates with them on the range. But, if my Bow isnt producing enough energy to open them for good penetration at that range, I just wont use the 35 yd pin.

Thanks for any help!