Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Rockett " ULTIMATE STEEL"  125 gr Broadhead question!! >

Rockett " ULTIMATE STEEL" 125 gr Broadhead question!!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rockett " ULTIMATE STEEL" 125 gr Broadhead question!!

Old 05-15-2003, 10:06 PM

Default Rockett " ULTIMATE STEEL" 125 gr Broadhead question!!

Anyone that is familiar with this broadhead:

1. How solid (stable) are the blades in the ferrule?
3. Any history of blade(s) breaking or disengaging from ferrule under normal shooting conditins?

History of how sharp the blades are when new, is not a concern.

**Deleted the questions pertaining to the head being " mechanical." Person who put me onto a source and a deal on these heads, thought they were " mechs." Further research shows they are not. I was asking about turning the mech into a fixed.***
Old 05-15-2003, 10:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Rockett " ULTIMATE STEEL" 125 gr Broadhead question!!

The ultimate steel is not a mechanical head it is a fixed blade head. Does any one know if they have improved the blade retention system thay use?

Old 05-15-2003, 10:20 PM

Thanks, big. I had just caught that. Buddy who called me had thought they were mechs.

Are you familiar with these heads and the quality? It is possible that the heads might be an earlier version of the " Ultimate," considering the possible price they might be purchased for.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have never used them because of 5 shots test that he did on the 100 grain last year. I have heard that they have improved how the blades are heald in place this yeat but no definite answer yet. Anyway here is 5 shots report that he did on the 100 last year. How much are you paying for them?

Rocket Ultimate Steel 100 grain

Plywood: 5 points
Steel drum: 3 points
Tire: 3 points
Cutting diameter: 1 point
Accuracy: 5 points
Blades 3 points
Total score: 20.Blade sharpness rating of A

The Ultimate steel is rockets newest broadhead. It has 3 fixed blades with a cutting diameter of 7/8”. The blades are very sharp out of the package. Shaving hair very easily. The heads are a real pain to assemble though, the small blades, combined with the small ferule make for difficult job. It is not impossible though, just be careful so you don’t cut yourself! Accuracy is excellent, in fact I found them to fly as well as any mechanical head I have tried, even out of a bow that was not properly tuned. Up to now everything sounds great, the heads are sharp and accurate, the problem is that sharp blades don’t do you much good if they don’t stay in the ferule! I shot the tire first. The head penetrated one side with several inches of shaft, but lost every single blade! That is the first time I have seen a head loose every blade in the tire. In the plywood the head actually did well, penetrating all the way through with out any blade loss. I would guess that the tip of the head pushes enough material out of the way to help the blades stay intact, but I don’t know for sure. In the steel drum the head penetrated both sides, but again lost all of it’s blades. The blades made it through the first side as the cut marks show, but fell out sometime after getting through. I have had many heads fail the steel drum test, and if the ultimate steel would have been able to hold it’s blades in the tire, I would still consider it a decent head. The problem is it did not. I really think rocket dropped the ball on this one!
I even gave this head a 2nd chance, buying a brand new package thinking the first head I got may have just been a bad one, but that was not the case. I can’t recommend this head, as it is currently made, to anyone. I believe that Rocket has a good idea, but they need to pay closer attention to the small “tabs” that hold the blades in the retaining washer. I feel that this is where the blades are breaking off, and then allowing them to fall out of the ferule. The way it stands now, the ultimate steel is really just an expensive field point. This is also one of those heads that scored better than it should have, mostly because of the accuracy, but an accurate head without blades won’t do anyone any good.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not tested the 125 or the 75 grn heads, but I sure hope they do better than the 100 grn version! I won' t speculate on how the others will do, but if you decide to try them, make sure you test them well before using them on game.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:54 AM

I ordered the 75 grners

They just look mean, lean flying machines

Old 05-16-2003, 09:14 AM
CG

Rack-attack,
Don' t you mean " Little Itty-bitty" flying machine......