Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Just got new bow. >

Just got new bow.

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Just got new bow.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Spike

Default Just got new bow.

I just got a new bow after 15 years a Browning Vapor and was wondering what a good set up would be.REST,ARROWS,STRING LOOP or not, BROAD HEADS ETC. I am looking at a Quicktune Freedom no String Drop Away rest. Keep the price on the suggestions down a little please.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

I like the Kazaway rest, its the part of the bow worth droppin cash on and the new one is as fast as a limb driver . If u want something a little more basic check out the Octane hostage pro. its a bit easier to adjust and tougher than the regular hostage.
as far as sites go, i killed a bunch of deer with a 30 dollar Truglow. if u want something a little nicer, check out something like this its a great deal and alot of the bang for the buck at 60 bucks, top of the line but still affordable are the viper sights. I love mine.
as for releases i shoot Scotts releases, but u cna kill deer with anything. make sure they are comfortable, try em on first if possible. i prefer buckles over velcro, and it isnt a horrible idea to buy a backup
string loop- there is a tutorial Here so just buy a littly material and tie your own!!

stabilizer, sims X-coils are hard to argue with for the price, they really do a good job.

as far as arrows go, The Beeman ICS Energy's are a cheap arrow, that seems to be well made, with a decent tolerance. if u want a good step up, try anything u see fit from Carbon Express or Easton.
Hope this helped a little
Phil
Old 07-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

and i wont even get into broadheads cause everyone has thier preferance, i shoot rages, but i think if i were u i would check out the slicktricks. they are what i fling at pigs lol
Old 07-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why a "no string" drop away? Set up correctly, its one of the most accurate and repeatable rests short of a standard shoot through, only more forgiving.

I'm not a big fan of the hostage rests... the pro sits so far back off the shelf on most modern bows its almost like having an overdraw... only with no guard.... I don't want to sacrfice the forgiveness myself. The hostage bristles also wear out WAY too fast... they have upgraded them since they were first introduced, but they are still, in my opinion not half as durable as a whisker biscuit.... which is hard to beat for simplicity by the way.

Sights are totally subjective. I shoot a single pin and having done so for two years now... will never shoot a multi-pin sight again. As long as you can see it and be repeatable with it, thats all that really matters. I shoot an HHA 5500. Impact archery also makes good, fairly durable, budget priced sights.

For arrows, I would check out Easton St Epics or Beman ICS hunters. Neither one are exactly cheap, but they are mid-range, mid-priced arrows and that is one area you don't want to take short cuts on.

I shoot slick trick broadheads myself. There are plenty of good, durable, affordable offerings. NAP Thunderheads are still hard to beat. If you can get them to act right, Muzzy's are solid also. G5 Strikers are great, and just about everything made by WASP and Magnus will do well for you too.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Spike

Is there a drawback with the whisker biscuit compared to a drop away. I have been still using my old TM hunter on my old bow. So I am not sure what to do about a rest. How about the Quicktune 2000 drop away from NAP. Or the QDA Ultra-Rest Hunter. I am trying to keep the price down to under $60.

Last edited by fishstuffer; 07-29-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fishstuffer
Is there a drawback with the whisker biscuit compared to a drop away. I have been still using my old TM hunter on my old bow. So I am not sure what to do about a rest. How about the Quicktune 2000 drop away from NAP. Or the QDA Ultra-Rest Hunter. I am trying to keep the price down to under $60.

The biscuit will net you a loss of anywhere from 1-4 fps. It can be a little rough on 4" vanes... but no matter what you get rest wise... get arrows with blazer vanes. The blazers are far and away tougher. There is just a tiny bit of draw noise with any bristle style rest as well... but nothing like the aluminum on steel sound of an uncovered shoot-thru.

I am not a fan of the QAD Hunter model. The HD, which is twice the price, is in my opinion the cream of the drop away crop and its what I shoot and recommend to my customers. The hunter model lacks the lock down feature that both the LD and HD models have. There are plenty of cases where I have seen 'bounce back' with the hunter models... as evidence by streaking on the undersides of the hen vanes. For the same money I think you can do better.

Of all the "biscuit' alternatives... I like the NAP 360 the best. Should be about in your price window too. If not, the regular old biscuit is hard to beat for about $50.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would definitely recommend using a string loop.Though I'm new to using a release it took all of one draw to see that was the way to go.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Spike

Has anyone used the whisperflite rest? And how good is it?
Old 08-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Spike

Well I ended up getting a Trophy Taker rest and a string loop.and a G5 peep.But I am going to take it back to the pro shop because the peep will not stay inline with my eye;it is not the same after each shot;it is twisted to one side and it looks like my arrows are kicking. I know it is a new bow and I have to get use to how it shoots.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Spike

Ripcord rest is the best by far and are under about $90, then i would suggest a micro adjust sight by Black Gold (you pay a little more but it is the best sight technology by far) Grim reaper broad heads are what me and my dad use, and they have been our favorite for the past several years. I got all my gear and my diamond bow from www.bugsnbullets.com because they had awesome deals. i also use easton axis arrows and they are about 60 for a half dozen.