Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Question on sights. >

Question on sights.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question on sights.

Old 05-03-2003, 04:23 PM

Default Question on sights.

Here is a question, or maybe a thought for some. When concerning setting in our sights, I noticed that most on here set them at even distances. Example, 1 pin at 10 yrds. 1 at 20 and so on. (For those of us with more than one pin.) With that set up, in between 10th of yrds. you usually have to aim higher to hit where you want. I got to thinking with the way I set my rifles, I have them at odd yrds. 15, 25 and so on, so this way I can aim lower to better concentrate on the spot I want the shot. Unless it is just a few yards past the setting. I mean how many times in the woods do you get a shot at even yrds. What do you all think? [>:]
Old 05-03-2003, 04:56 PM

Default RE: Question on sights.

Hey Smoky,

I don' t see how there is a diff. with both setups as far as aiming lower or higher.

You have the same option on both. if I am set up at 20 and 30 and the deer is at 25 I can aim low with the 30 or aim high with the 20.

If I am set up at 15 and 25 and a deer is at 20 - I still have the same options.

I personally would rather aim high. Because the arrow is dropping not rising, I get a much better feel of its trajectory. But it comes down to what you practice and are comfortable with.

I also think the odds are just as good for a deer to walk by at an even yardage as it is to walk by ar an odd yardage
Old 05-04-2003, 03:23 AM

In the past I have used both even (10, 20, 30, 40) and odd (15, 25, 35, 45) yrd pin sight set-ups.

I let the arrow flight of the bow and arrow combo dictate my set up. Here is what I do when setting up for hunting. I take a skoal can and draw a circle on my target. Set my first (top pin) to hit within the circle, from point blank (approx 5 yrds) out to 15 or 20 yrds. From there my remaining pins are set for each additional 10 yrd increment.

With my old bow the first pin could hit within the circle from point blank out to 15 yds. So, my pins were set at odd distances (15, 25, and 35 yrds).

With my new bow the first pin hits within the circle out to 20 yrds, so my pins are set up at even distances (20, 30, and 40 yrds). With this set-up, any odd yardage, lets say 25 yrds, I put the sight picture between the 20 and 30 yrd pin. This way I dont have to aim high or low.

I hope I dont have you confused. Remember this is a hunting set up, and when I hunt I have my yardages clearly marked according to my pin sights.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:31 AM

In past years I have always set my pins at 20, 30 & 40 yards. This year I think I am going to set just one pin at about 23 or 24 yards. With the faster bows now days I can shoot a deer from 5 yards out to 30 yards without having to worry about aiming high with a to or low with a 30. Just put the oin in the center of the chest and start tracking. In most cases I it is rare to shoot a deer over 30 yards in Wisconsin when hunting in the woods. I am going to also practice with the one pin at 40 yards to get a feel for how hight to aim. Just trying to eliminate the possability of using the wrong pin.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:45 PM

My first pin is set at 20 yards. When shooting a 10 yard target the arrow hits high about 2" .....My 2nd pin is set at 30 yards......30 yards is my limitations when hunting so I really only worry about two sight pins......I use my 20 yard pin on shots from 10 yards out to 20-25,,,I then use my 30 yard pin fron 25 yards out to 35 yards......I have a 40,50 & 60 yard pin, but don' t think I would evere use them while hunting.....Most all of the deer in my area are within 20 yards...
Old 05-13-2003, 09:13 AM

heres what i do....my top pin is good out to 20 yards, then i have my middle pin set for 25 yards, and my bottom pin is set at 30. i don' t feel comfortable shooting farther than 30 so thats my limit. its just those 22-23 or 27-28 yard shots that can get a little tricky.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:35 AM

It might just be me but I can use my 20 yd pin anywhere from about 17-23 yds without aiming high or low. I rarely have to adjust. I have pins form 10 to 50yds and don' t have any problems with in-between distance until I get up about 35yds.

Hey Buckbuster4ou.....OU SUCKS!!!!
GO Pokes.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:48 AM

I never set my I pin by the use of a standard measure. I set my pin using a pace method to the practice target. When I am in the field and want to establish points of reference for distance from my stand, it is not practical to use a tape measure. I pace the distance.

When bows started shooting flatter, I went to one pin. When I need shoot higher on the deer, I immediately know how much higher in accordance with the distance, and I can do it very quickly. Much faster than trying to decide which of several pins to use.

Manyseasons past, I almost lost a shot on a very nice buck by accidentally sighting with the wrong pin out of the closely grouped four pins. In a flash, I realized I was on the wrong pin, adjusted, and dropped the buck. That is when I went to 1 pin. I also did not like the way the closely grouped pins obstructed my view.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:22 PM

Thanks for all the input, the only problem for now is the fact I have an older bow and still using aluminum arrows. The bow has no cams and the arrow has a trajectory I have to deal with. I like what I got now, but I like to play too, so we' ll see what happens! Again thanks guys.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:02 PM

UP DATE ! UPDATE! - LAY AWAY LAY AWAY